how to clean a very dusty wicker basket?

What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm water with some washing powder in, will it disintegrate? It's in good condition; it's just very dusty.

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
hanrahan398

It shoulnd't disintegrate, but spraying it with a shower might be better than just dunking it.

Or use an air compressor.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I use the dusting attachment on my Dyson; then swish in warm water with washing-up liquid. Rinse with the spray attachment at the sink - or use a garden hose. Leave in a warm airy place until completely dry - you don't want mold or mildew.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Well, they're made by soaking the wicker, or even steaming it to make it flexible

I'd be tempted to give it a squirt with a hose

John

Reply to
JTM

Compressed air.

Reply to
Huge

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

How about sand ?

Reply to
geoff

A fiver in any cheap shop.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Wicker, not rattan.

I can't find a wicker basket for under =A330

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Get in the shower with it. Nailbrush if anything is really murky.

Dry it off well afterwards, but don't heat it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , JTM writes

So would I. I'd first get as much dust off as possible by simultaneously brushing and sucking with a vacuum cleaner pipe (using a paint brush for the nooks and crannies), and then give it a brisk hosing. It probably won't harm it at all.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Lino expert

That's just so last year. This cries out for a pressure washer!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ