How seriously are female posters taken on this DIY forum?

your place or mine?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno. Attention seeking possibly. Some are presumably mentally ill (see for example Yads 'The Doctor' on u.m.tv.sf.drwho - clearly Asbergers, but amusing in a surreal way). Some just run through the same tired old troll bag of tricks - eg 'Jon.J.Yeager' on r.a.c.m-u is currently accusing all and sundry of posting just for the sake of argueing with him, yawn. I wouldn't have the energy to keep up trolling.

Maybe it's powerless people that can at least have some influence over others by virtue of being annoying. Same as Chavs really, except you even can't catch them on their own and give them a little scare.

I think they are on all NGs, this one is fairly benign IMHO.

Reply to
Phil Young

Are you really too dense to know the difference between "shit" and "complaining about shit" ?

I have no e-mail from you. Re-send it if you like.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You make positive contributions (although I absolutely abhor sandblasting of timbers), or ask reasonable questions. Great! A bit of banter's fine, IMO - when it's about the only thing people send in, *then* they should take a hike off to somewhere more appropriate!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Apparently, someone in the Sudan has a poster of a different sort:

Chris Bacon

It was always Guys and Dolls when Jimmy Saville OBE(or some other letters) used to use it when he was a DJ. He's from Leeds, and he likes Scarborough.

Reply to
<me9

No, that was Damon Runyon. Jimmy Savile said 'Guys and Gals'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, but posting to usenet at all is a strong hint!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Watch it Dave, or we'll set the Yanks on you!

(How did you manage to wind up Tom Gardner ?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Go stick your mugshot on the Frappr page Grunff created:

should sort out most of the confusion!)

Reply to
John Rumm

don't understand is why when questioned the chap 'fell' off the goat, I would have thought he would have leapt off! What a peculiar site.....

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Mary, just so you know I'm not ignoring you, this message, or your other reply to me. It's NOT that I don't like going there or discussing these subjects but this is not the place to do it. There is so much crap and waffle on here as it is, and all this is not in the least relevant to DIY once we have gone past the issue of how women are treated on the group. I know people don't have to read if they don't want to, but I hate having to skip through 101 irrelevant messages, I'm sure lots of other people do and I'm not going to be the one to inflict any more of it on them!

-- Holly, in France who won't :-)

Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

It's none of your (or anyone elses) business what my name is so I never use it on Usenet unless I change settings for some reason and forget to change them back.

As for using a real, unmunged email address - that's just bonkers IMO.

It's nothing to do with having something to hide - just a privacy issue.

Any time I've asked a question here I've always had at least one very helpful response. If I join in the OT discussions it's for fun and I don't particularly expect useful or polite response, just amusement.

I doubt very much it makes any difference whether I post as Geoffrey, Gully Foyle or Vera. I make no distinction between female looking names and male looking names and I suppose I assume others don't either.

Reply to
Gully Foyle

Grunff.

Odd map of Ireland though, some names in English and some in Irish, they should have used one or the other.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

I really, really don't understand the problem with this. I've used a unique but perfectly functional E-Mail address as my From: address on usenet for quite along time now (several years) and it receives maybe three of four junk messages a day. It *may* be something to do with the newsgroups I frequent but I do post in quite a few.

So you don't tell people your name when you meet them?

Reply to
usenet

No, He always said Guys and Gals.

Mary from Leeds who remembers Savile when he was a disc jockey at the Mecca Locarno and had a different colour hair every week.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, the beard would give it away!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh please don't worry, I'm not curious enough to WANT to know - it's not interesting enough :-)

Nor do I.

We all use our real names in every other part of life, it puzzles me too why people are shy on Usenet. But each to his/her own. My father in law, at his funeral, was described charitably as a 'very private man'. He wasn't, he was a secretive old bugger! But he did have a lot to hide :-) And his 'privacy' didn't win him any friends or kudos, he must have been one of the loneliest people I've ever known.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or were you just on different drugs every week? ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Well, it was delivered successfully to mx.thai.com at 00:06:43 on the

22nd of Feb. There's little point in resending it as I've given you the basic gist; "If you don't like the output of certain posters then use your killfile instead of banging on about it repeatedly in the group".

I took slight offence that mine was one of the posts to which you followed up with " Blah Blah Blah", given that in the 3 years since I first posted here almost every single article has been entirely on topic, and the two or three that haven't have been solely down to conversational topic drift (like this).

A slightly less thick-skinned person than me might be put of contributing to the group, but as it is I just prefer to think of you as a bit of an annoying turd who shouldn't be taken very seriously.

Reply to
Chris Cowley