How many LED ceiling panels?

So, the fitting out of the outhouse is taking a long time in fits and starts, but I'm getting there, alongside tearing the kitchen apart before the new one arrives.

The outhouse now has new boards and insulation on the walls and ceiling.

It's about 2.4m by 3.2m with a door and window on the south-facing short wall. There will be work surfaces with cupboards/shelves above on two of the other walls.

How many of the LED panels (either 600 x 600m or other sizes) should I fit? Would a square array of four of them be sufficient? Or do I need more?

I went for GU10 downlights in the new kitchen ceiling although when I posted on here some weeks ago, a few people mentioned those large LED panels.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

I can only say what I have done. My garage internally is about 4.7m wide and in total about 7.9m long. At the backend about 2.2m of the length will be divided off the rest to make a man cave. In the the first 4.7m x4.7m area is the garage/workshop which has 70cm wide 2m high racking down one wall and a 77cm wide bench down the other. With central lighting and the car garaged there used to be considerable shadows either side of the car so I opted for 4 of 1200mm X 600mm panels. These have eliminated all the shadowing and have provided a well lit central area when I am working on big stuff in the middle. As for the bench although well lit from the main lights I do cast a shadow when working at it. To eliminate shadowing over the bench I have positioned 2 of 1200mm X 300mm panels above.

The man cave which is in the process of being done will have just two 1200mm X 600mm panels lengthwise down the centre.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I'm just trying out V-Tac 40 watt, 4ft batten fittings to replace 58 watt T8 fluorescents in my garage. I have fitted two so far and I'm impressed with the improvement. They are ridiculously simple to fit (two screw on clips, would work on flat plasterboard as well as they do on the joists I'm using) and are relatively cheap at £17 each from CPC.

Reply to
Chris Green

My local shop has 1200x 600 ceiling tiles and LED panels.

1200x600 panel LEDs are about 3 to 4 times the price of 600x600 panels.

So if one fails I just fit two 600x600 panels and a bit of ceiling grid between them.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks. Ot sounds as if you're expecting around 160W of LED panels to be fine for an area 4.7m x 2.2m. That's only a little larger (but less square) than my outhouse.

With it being a bit more square, I'm tempted by two rows of fittings - it would seem to me that four of the 4ft battens Chris Greem mentioned in his reply are equivalent to the two 1200x600 panels, again around 160W.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

A starting point for a workshop would be 1000 lumen per square meter , which would probably be provided by 10 watts of LEd per sq metre. Its difficult to get too much light in a workshop especially as you get more mature.

Reply to
Robert

My garage is a triple garage so about 6M x 9M, I had 5 x 58 watt fluorescents. I've replaced two of them with the V-Tac 40 watt, 4ft battens and the light is a lot better. I may get away with just four of the V-Tacs, helped because they'll be somewhat better placed. I may even use some of the smaller, matching V-Tacs to distribute the lighting a bit more. The V-Tacs are 120 lumens/watt.

Reply to
Chris Green