Downlighters - how many in a kitchen?

As part of a kitchen extension I've pulled down the old lath and plaster ceiling and now need to get the wiring sorted before fixing the plasterboard. The kitchen is 2.7m high and about 4.5m x 4.3m. SWMBO wants it to be brightly lit and we've decided on "cool white" or "daylight" LED downlighters, which seem to have outputs of at least 500 lumens. There will be under-cupboard lights for the work surfaces. The question is: how to decide on the number of downlighters?
Also, there is a bewildering range of downlighters available, costing about £5 up to £25 (or more). Any recommendations?
On 06/10/2019 21:34, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

It's not so much how many as how far apart they are.
Bill
On 06/10/2019 23:55, Bill Wright wrote:

Er Bill. Thats what yiou get from dividing the room area by the number of them
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

I don't think you understood my point. What I meant was you should start from a decision about how far apart they are going to be. The total number is irrelevant.
People tend to put relatively high powered ones too far apart, because they look at the total wattage.
Bill
On 06/10/2019 23:55, Bill Wright wrote:

It may not be the last word in elegance, but a tube fitting and a 1.8m/30W/2400lm LED bulb works pretty well in my 3m2 kitchen.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 07/10/2019 10:41, RJH wrote:

+1.
Local library has been refurbed with some amazing LED panels that are about 4x2 feet and have none of the usual LED 'sharp' points of light but evenly diffused over the whole area. Great for reading.
On 07/10/2019 16:10, Andrew wrote:

I have some of these. They are excellent. They are now used almost to the exclusion of anything else in hospital refurbs.
Bill
On 07/10/2019 20:37, Bill Wright wrote:

I have one in my bathroom and as you say excellent lighting.
I have a smaller round panel light in my (small kitchen) that provides much better lighting than the fluorescent tube it replaced.
If the OP is going to fit under cabinet led strip lighting then one or two 20W led panel type fittings, surface mounted or recessed, would supply enough bright lighting for the rest of the room.
LED under cabinet lightds https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/LED_Undercupboard_Fittings/index.html
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Yes - a church hall nearby has just had those fitted. Same size as the ceiling panels and almost invisible when off. And extremely even light when on. So excellent working light. But not something I'd want at home, except in a workshop.
--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Our local church was recently refurbished. It was only then that the existing lights were revealed to be a set of lights mounted onto gold-painted, paper covered, bicycle wheel rims!
SteveW

A kitchen is somewhere where you need a good "working" light rather than mood lighting.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 08/10/2019 21:44, alan_m wrote:

probably one of those that have a £30k fashion kitchen, but can't cook.
On 08/10/2019 22:32, dennis@home wrote:

Poor lighting in a kitchen and bathroom can hide a lack of cleaning/hygiene.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 09/10/2019 09:16, alan_m wrote:

sorry, I manage to cock the quoting up it was aimed at the only in a workshop bit.

Dunno what mine cost as I built it all - apart from the doors.
And what do you find odd about being able to vary the lighting in a kitchen? Of course it should have good working light when needed. Which here, isn't all the time.
--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Mine is, if you like, a kitchen/breakfast room. So more like two rooms in one. And is more used than any other room in the house - so more than just kitchen things. I'd agree with you if it was only used for basic kitchen things. But isn't that rather rare these days?
--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

I wouldn't want floodlighting all the time in a kitchen - even a basic one like mine. After the cooking and tidying up is done, an undercupboard light is a lot nicer when making a cup of tea etc.
But each to own - my brother is pretty much the opposite, cool white spotlight and downlighters everywhere, always.
--
Cheers, Rob

Of course if you start out with one central light and only one circuit and want to keep things simple you're not going to have much choice. And many simply don't care that the mood of a room can be altered by decent lighting. Which is their choice.
--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 10:41:51 +0100, RJH wrote:

+1
Yep, plenty of light. One of the biggest problems with effectively point source down lighters is that they cast shadows. The biggest one being yours over the area of work surface your trying to prepare food on. A big soft source tends to fill your shadow as light can arrive from the sides.
If a tube parallel to the work surfaces doesn't get past management try bunging them on top of the cupboards hidden by a cornice and bouncing the light off the (white...) ceiling. Or if downlights are insisted on under cupboard lights. LED strips are quite effective with the individual LEDs spaced at about an inch.
--
Cheers
Dave.

And the distance to the work surface if you want reasonably even lighting. And that rather depends on the individual lamp.
Still think decent florries can't be beaten for under cupboard lighting. Concealed by a plinth.
--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *