How low can it go (IP56)

Hi All,

How low (high) should an IP56 external 13A Masterseal (ideally) be from the ground (well gravel actually and on a fairly sheltered wall).

Also, does the SWA 'hang' from the plastic cleats or are they supported on the screws (like wot I was taught at BT 30 years ago)?

Is 'bottom entry' (oh missus! ) 'better' than side entry for the SWA?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

One metre above ground is ideal, but these sockets can be as low as 500 mm without any ill effects.

The cable is best to hang from the cleats and allow the screw to take weight on the dangle and let the cable stretch and shrink as it needs to.

Bottom entry is the best as it allows water to drip off and not run into the box, but side entry is also allowed if you leave a drip loop before the cable enters the box. A scheme, I seem to remember, that BT engineers aren't taught because most of their DP boxes are always filling up with water that runs along the wiring. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for that ..

K again ..

How easy is it to form a 'drip loop' with 2.5m SWA? Wouldn't it be more like a 'drip dip' . I could run the SWA down and away from the Masterseal socket .(taking the drips away from the box), what is the ideal height to run the cable along a garden wall ..?

A scheme, I seem to remember, that BT engineers aren't taught

Didn't do 'holes and poles' or 'customer' stuff .. I was in the Datel workshops fixing TDM cards and autodialers .. ;-)

All the best .. and thanks again

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't put the cable on a wall where it can be grabbed by someone climbing over it from the other side, which usually means leaving a space above it of about 8 or 9 inches. And make sure the cable is held in place with cleats that are properly spaced to take the full weight of the cable, which, again, means that the cleats need to be positioned so that the cable is held straight and doesn't sag in between the clips. You'll have to work that one out for yourself. :-))

Yes. A drip dip will do of about an inch down will probably do the trick. As long as water isn't allowed to run into the box from the cable is what you need.

University graduates ? Huuuuuuwwwww !!!! :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Ok ..

And make sure the cable is held in place with cleats that are

Gotcha ..

Not here mate .. left school when I was 15 .. (had good school reports though "Timothy couldn't do better if he tried .." ) ;-)

Went to a Tech College and apart from the English, Maths etc in the mornings we did good stuff each day in the afternoons ..

Sheet metal work, Catering, Welding, Automotive, Electrical / Electronics .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m