How long before new gas smartmeter

How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas supply, starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?

The installer says wait a day or two. However British gas customer services says it takes up to 2 weeks, which seems a long time.

Perhaps customer services are getting this mixed up with migrating customer data from their old billing system, which does take weeks.

Reply to
Pamela

In my case it was before the fitter left the building.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine started working very quickly (same day) but energy companies seem to need at least two weeks of half hourly data before they give you the nod and say “yes, you have a working smart meter”.

Until they do that you can’t switch tariffs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The display should start working quite quickly - if it's successfully paired to the meter(s).

Mine (Eon) has a very weak wifi signal and the display needs to be close to the meter to receive data. Electricity is received in pretty much real time; gas updated every 30 minutes or so.

Reply to
RJH

The data is only sent back to base, once per day, as a batch. Usually it seems around midnight, so the data will appear sometime after that.

Most seem to quote around two weeks, after a new install - maybe playing safe?

With smart meters, at my last change in supplier, the data went off, and came back on with my new supplier just two days later.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Though it may not at first show the tariff, just consumption.

My IHD shows gas consumption updated much more frequently, maybe every minute - which seems to be not what is supposed to happen.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Battery won’t last long if it really is doing that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I cannot think of any other explanation, for the gas consumption varying so frequently in the display. It was suggested, that it might be the IHD displaying an average, but an average would drift either down or up steadily. In fact the ready goes up and down, and matches turning hobs on and off.

The battery is around 7 years old so far, and still seems OK. It's a Secure.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Interesting. Not heard of this before. Everywhere on the net says 30 minute intervals for gas.

Oh well, if it works…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+