How do I change time on my vans clock?

Yes, really.

The meridian is the line of longitude of the observer. When the Sun is highest in his sky it is local noon and, for an infinitesimal moment, neither ante meridiem nor post meridiem. His (12-hour) clock will read 12 and 00 simultaneously.

Reply to
John

It can't just as 11:59, which is clearly in the morning, can't be followed a minute later by midnight ("12am = midnight").

Reply to
John

This seems to suggest that there is still one at the Beeb:

but there's no ref.

So if I miss a recording because of a faulty EPG setting, do I blame you? ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Immediately on the conclusion of the preceding 12 hours of the ante meridiem.

That would be nonsensical.

Indeed, just as the whole of the 60 minutes before it was am.

Reply to
John

Rod Speed

All the other vans that are the same changed time.

Reply to
ARW

My bedside clock had no problem altering the hour.

It's not connected to any signals so if the time drifts a few minutes a year I have to manually change it.

Reply to
ARW

well what do you expect if you get given the oldest, highest mileage and most unreliable vans from your colleagues........ :-)

Reply to
SH

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

Plenty are.

The personal voice assistants work FAR better for that

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then the problem must be the setting or the software version.

Reply to
Rod Speed

So you think 12pm followed by 1pm is logical?

I already said that if it's followed by 1pm it should be 0pm Starting at 0 is good enough for the 24 hour clock.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Another one of those people who doesn't know what am and pm mean.

They are Latin for ante- and post-meridiem.

Before and after noon.

12 noon is neither am nor pm - it's exactly on the meridiem. 11:59:59am is OK, 12:00:01pm is OK and 2 seconds later. 12:00:00 can't be am or pm. It's noon or midnight. I have seen people saying 11:59am to make it clear!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Farmers and outdoor workers in the far north will undoubtedly have a lie in in the morning so that they start work at dawn. Never mind what the clock says.

And I remember in midwinter walking to the bus stop in the dark morning, and walking back in the dark too. A different time shift would have allowed one of them to be in the light.

This was in the far north of... Surrey.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I know exactly what they mean and, while technically you are correct, by convention we do use 12am and 12pm to distinguish between them. Most people (here at least) would say see you at 12 if it was clear which was meant, just as we'd say see you at quarter-past-eleven. In both cases, we'd add am or pm if it wasn't obvious which half of the 24 hour day we were referring to. It is very rare that you'd here someone use midday and less rare to use midnight.

You might also hear 12 this afternoon or 12 tonight.

Reply to
SteveW

Indeed I remember visiting a German company in the 1970s, by the time we got in at 9.00pm the workers were just finishing their first coffee break. They clocked in at 6:30 a.m. As apprentices in UK we clocked in at 7:30 am.

What's so special about clock time anyway? Or '9 till 5'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I only have the highest mileage van because I drive the most miles and it's not the oldest van when I get given it.

The 14 plate was the last van I had - and that didn't breakdown very often.

Reply to
ARW

"...others follow Mecca time." The great thing about religious laws is that you can cheat. I assume the local Imams sanction it.

Reply to
Max Demian

It is simply that living at a different time to the majority causes problems - you can't arrive at work at 06:30, when the nursery doesn't open until 08:00 or the primary school until 08:50. You can't be in work for 06:30, when the first bus or train doesn't run until 07:15. You can't start noisy DIY, when all the neighbours don't wake up until 07:30 or 08:00. There are good reasons for the majority of people following the nationwide clock time. It synchronises (for most) their need for services and the provision of those services.

Reply to
SteveW

It's not as though the Lebanon has any more serious matters to concern itself with.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

If someone said "12 tonight" then fine, I would have no problem with that.

However, if I heard "12 this afternoon", my reply would be along the lines of:

"WTF are you trying to say?"

Reply to
Sam Plusnet