How do I change time on my vans clock?

If you think everyone was happy why do you thing there was such an outcry that the experiment was not extended?

Reply to
Clive Page

Unfortunately neither the spec sheet nor the manual state a specific transmitter, just that they "are automatically set by the FM or digital radio signal."

Reply to
SteveW

The word is 'meridiem', meaning noon. You are thinking of 'meridian', which is a circle of constant longitude (e.g. the Greenwich meridian).

Reply to
Bob Eager

And how can 12:01, which is clearly after midday be am?

Reply to
SteveW

11:59am should be followed by 12am or 0pm Calling noon 12pm is ridiculous
Reply to
Bob Martin

Completely different sources, then. I had no idea that the BBC had its own atomic clock in the basement of broadcasting house.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I'm not sure it does now,  the time stamps on DAB, FM RDS, and digital TV platforms will be sourced from GPS (yes, even the Beeb now), (which is more than adequate)

I can tell you from personal experience, that over almost 40 years working in broadcasting, I've had to sort out scores of TV station reference/timecode problems (home and abraod) in the days after a DST changeover. Nothing this week (yet) however, which is a first !

Reply to
Mark Carver

I wonder how much better/worse it is for most in England since the signal went to Anthorn?

I don't recall problems when it was Rugby though the house had a fairly unobstructed view (ok, some fields and hills) to the transmitter and I was a lot nearer than I am now to Anthorn and a big hill immediately in the way.

Reply to
AnthonyL

That's just showing off!

In one vehicle I have two clocks. One that takes the time over FM broadcasts, the other I have to manually change.

Reply to
Fredxx

So we have 11:59:59.999 as AM

12:00:00 as AM 12:00:00.00001 as PM

What time would you have PM start. Surely not wait until after it has been after noon by 59mins 59.9999 secs? That whole period has been pm.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I hope she didn't hear you, has she had many erm children?

To much info!

Reply to
Fredxx

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, AnthonyL snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid writes

The obvious answer is that 12 noon is neither A nor P M. It's simply M.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

When Ramadan is in June/July, do Moslems living inside the arctic circle starve to death, or aren't there any living there?

Reply to
Max Demian

Molemss are fine. Its the the Vegans who suffer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

i am a grumpy old git, but even i would not be seen dead with a bedside clock. what are laptops for?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, that is 12 noon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well they're so far from home. 25 light years is a long way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

GMT is still GMT - a local time zone. UTC is the standard for setting tine zones,not dependent on GMT. GMT was the de facto global standard back when sailing ships were navigated with theodolites, and the first chronometers were developed to aid this, but local time was generally set by solar time, so travelling west from Greenwich the clocks were set later. For example the current BST time in Bodmin is 26 minutes ahead of its apparent solar time i.e. if the clocks were still set as they were before the railways made rapid travel possible then they would display 16:40 rather than 17:06. That was fine until the railways required a fixed time standard for their timetables, because trains rapidly crossed multiple local time zones, so GMT was adopted as the national time zone. Something like that anyway.

Reply to
Rob Morley

ITYM sextants. Unless in sight of landmarks a theodolite aint much use

and the first chronometers were developed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have one. Doubles as a bedside light for those nocturnal toilet visits. Once a fortnight, cleaning lady picks it up to dust and regularly presses the alarm set button:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb