How do I change time on my vans clock?

I'm sure Fiats don't have that problem :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

Paint it to resemble a Dr Who Tardis ?

Reply to
Andrew

Farmers and outdoor workers in the far north would not get daylight until ?10 AM when days are shortest and weather gloomy.

Kids would be going to school in the dark, which means more accidents

Reply to
Andrew

You don't live in the far north though

Reply to
Andrew

How many taps for people like Brian Gaff ?

Reply to
Andrew

+1
Reply to
ponyface

in my meriva handbookit says that a lot of stations do not transmit the signal to change time, so delete the option to automaticaly use signal and change to manual which I did today. BBC Wales seems very reluctant to transmit.

Reply to
ponyface

My bedside clock is supposed to automatically change (and has done for a number of years), but failed to change on Sunday. It went to the right time when I unplugged it and plugged it back in - so it was certainly receiving the signal.

Reply to
SteveW

Midday itself is neither am nor pm. A fraction of a second after midday, it is clearly pm, so by convention, midday is referred to as 12pm otherwise you'd have an infinitely short period where it had changed from 11:59:59.... to 12:00:00 and the rest of the "12" hour being referred to as pm.

Reply to
SteveW

My watch failed to advance one hour automatically for the first time in many years. It uses DCF77 for the time signal. What transmitter does your clock use?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A GPS gives position and it also gives a time signal message. You should be able to tell what (corrected) time it is, with one. The serial output of my GPS, gives about three or four messages a second (and one of the messages has the time). The GPS has a PPS logic signal, and the rising edge of that indicates when the seconds digit has changed.

Whereas an ELF transmitter (77KHz?), you get a time indication, but to work out the hour, you need to know where on the earths surface you are standing.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You have it advancing from 12 pm to 1 pm which is nonsensical. The whole of the twelfth hour belongs to the ante meridiem. Twelve o'clock is the end of that period, but it doesn't suddenly abandon its predecessors, change its name and attach itself to the post meridiem: it remains simply 12 am - midday.

Reply to
John

Are employers going to be happy that everyone works when they please?

Reply to
Rob Morley

The conventional way of writing noon in that format. All the other

12:mm:nn times are PM, so noon gets lumped in with them. It's also simpler if you have a single bit or character to represent AM/PM, you don't want want to have to create a special case (or display) for a time that exists for less than a second each day.
Reply to
Rob Morley

Bullshit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No DST that I can find.

Reply to
ARW

Whilst watching Dr Who I once said to Lou "That Tardis is like your fanny"

But it was not about time keeping....

Reply to
ARW

Really?

How can noon, which _is_ the meridian, be ante or post the meridian?

That contradicts itself.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

But according to the news this week, the government in Lebanon decided to delay the start of Summer Time until the end of Ramadan, but just for those who are Muslims. The Christians (and perhaps other sects) changed last weekend as most of Europe did. So for a few days they had two concurrent timescales in the same country, so you needed to know someone's religious affiliation to know what they they were using. How could one get a watch/clock to cope with that sort of situation?

It was, apparently, a temporary phenomenon, as sanity returned later in the week.

Reply to
Clive Page

I experienced DST all year when it was introduced as an experiment in the 1960s. Normally when using GMT in winter, in the south of the UK most people, even in December, could go to work in the light, even though coming home at say 5 or 5:30 pm inevitably meant travelling in the dark. With DST in the winter, it meant that both journeys were in the dark. I hated it, and so did many others, so that the experiment was deemed a failure and not extended. I doubt if things would be much different if it were to be tried again. The fact is there is only so much daylight in mid-winter and it makes sense to have some of it either in the morning or evening rush-hours; having both of them in darkness made no sense.

Reply to
Clive Page