Hot glue ?

Quick setting, and can be softened, and therefore dismantled, with heat - essential if you are making things like violins. Useful f you are doing veneering as the veneer can effectively be ironed on.
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
And cleans off nicely with a damp cloth. Or if there are big beads to clean off they can go back in the pot with no wastage. Little or no clamping time - really useful, though sometimes you want to be able to take your time.
cheers Jacob
Reply to
normanwisdom
Ying tong iddle-i po!
From my child hood, I remembered that as Ying tong yiddle I po. A quick google has confirmed that.
Dave
Reply to
Dave
Arthur,
When you say "hot glue" do you mean the old type animal glue that's boiled up in a double pot or the stuff that is exuded from a hot glue gun?
Brian G
Reply to
Brian G
I've only used a hot glue gun for one project... gluing drawer kit sides to a thin MDF frame.
The advantage I found was that it formed a glue 'rivet' when extruded through the screw holes.
It also tolerates filling big gaps well, as it sets so quickly.
M.
Reply to
m__murray
In message , Arthur2 writes
One disadvantage is that if you get it on your skin when it's hot, the only way I know to get it off is to remove the skin...
Reply to
Peter Twydell
In message , robgraham writes
Which just goes to show that "The devil came down to Georgia" can't be true
... where would he be able to practice ?
Reply to
geoff
Not good for tight fitting joints etc because it tends to occupy more space than pva glues (because it sets so quickly)
Reply to
Stuart Noble
I'll bet my brother still has that EP (he is 11 years older than me and was into the goons a lot longer)
Dave
Reply to
Dave
I have often thought about getting a low temp glue gun. Do they stick the same as high temp?
Dave
Reply to
Dave
In message , Dave writes
Childhood ?
I have the original EP about 4 metres from where I'm sitting
Reply to
geoff
Ahh well, that just goes to show that if you come from the more ancient of the race, you just assume that everyone talks the same language as you !
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...
Depends what you want to do with it!
It's great for gap-filling. It's great for things that may need to flex or vibrate a bit. It's excellent for rapid work - hold for a few seconds and it's done. It's bloody awful for prolonged loads or safety items - it just falls apart eventually.
What we use ours for most is junk modelling with the kids. Sticking toilet roll tubes to cornflake packets isn't easy with PVA like they use in schools - it takes so long that most five year olds have lost interest before it's stuck. But - do it with hot glue (and yes, you can teach kids to use it safely, both ours manage) and their creativity isn't cramped by having to slow their ideas down to let the medium keep up. Space-ships with dozens of wonderful excressences are possible - if the kid wants a radar dome with multiple blasters and an extra airlock - they can have them in moments. Much fun.
Reply to
Skipweasel
In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk says...
I once had to get a nut and washer along the inside of a long box section at the top of a Renault Espace roof. Way out of reach, but sticking the bits to the end of an unrolled coathanger did wonders - once I'd got it tight I just yanked and the glue broke.
For that sort of thing it's fantastic.
But don't get a large blob of glue on your skin. It really does burn! You can get lowmelt guns for kids to use.
Reply to
Skipweasel
Don't start me off please. I have a 5 year old and I know all the words to 'I'm Archie! The Inventor"
Arthur
Reply to
Arthur2
In article , snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com says...
I don't know, the local toddler's group bought one but someone "borrowed" it before I ever got a chance to play with it!
Reply to
Skipweasel
In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...
Ah, well, you'll know all about why hotmelt is so much more immediate than PVA. You can get a lot more building done in the same attention span!
Reply to
Skipweasel
I don't think you're talking about what most people uunderstand by hot glue these days - ie the thermoplastic sticks applied with a gun.
Reply to
LSR

Site Timeline Threads