Horribly expensive tap

In 1998, I bought what I think was quite an expensive bath tap. It has a temperature control at one end, and a controller at the other - twist it down a quarter turn for the bath, and up for the shower. It's dripping, so I need to fix it.

I cannot see any name on it. How do I identify it? Yes, I can post a photo.

How do I get the tap handle off? Is it likely to be a push fit? I assume that a spare cartridge ought to be available for a good make, even after

15 years, or am I being desperately overoptimistic?
Reply to
GB

You can usually get spare cartridges. Post a photo re getting handle off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the reply.

I did get the handle off. I posted two photos - see below.

Not sure how to get a new cartridge without knowing which tap it is. Of course, no isolation valves, so it means draining the system down. I can't then go off for the day trying to find the correct cartridge. It would really help to identify it in advance.

Photos

GB

On 02/12/2014 23:32, GB wrote: ...

See TMH's earlier post 'Useful site' for a step by step guide to deciding which cartridge you need. The only thing I can see they have missed out is that, if you are not buying a pair, you need to know whether the cartridge turns on clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Reply to
Nightjar

It's an odd cartridge. Turn it one way and the water comes out of the spout. Turn it the other way and the water comes out of the shower.

I'll look on tapmagician.

Reply to
GB

Try showerdoc.com too.

I expect it will be something similar to

If it is you may be able to get a seal kit and repair it.

Its going to be difficult to find spares without knowing who makes it. Maybe emailing a picture to the sites will help.

You could fit isolators first, then you can stop the drip while you look for a proper fix.

Reply to
dennis

I have taken the tap off and fitted a replacement for now. It only took a few minutes as the fixings are separate from the tap. So, I now have a non-leaking bath tap, and I can take my time finding a cartridge.

Why aren't all bath taps made in two parts like that? It would save an awful lot of trouble.

The tap is a Grohe 0005-02, but Grohe say that is not a known part number. I've sent them a picture, and we will see.

Reply to
GB

I have to hand it to them. They found the tap, based on the picture, and they've sold me a new cartridge for, gulp, over £60! That's good business if you can get it.

They also have a complete parts breakdown and schematic online.

GB

Now you know the tap, see how much TapMagician will charge you for a cartridge :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

tHEY DON'T DO ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE IT.

oops caps

Reply to
GB