Homobase

Not my favourite store.
Had to use them to buy 2 x 6" pendant sets t'other day. £3:79 each!!
Also had two jobs where customer has bought Homobase own label 'one coat' emulsion. If it hadn't said so on the tin, I'd have thought it was normal paint. Not a patch on Wilkinson's.

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:25:59 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

*had to*?
Owain
On 01/10/2014 22:38, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Job 100 yards from Homobase, nearest alternative 4 miles away, 4:45 pm.

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Circumstances. Once in the south of England I *had* to buy a roll of coax from B & Q for three times what it would have cost at my normal suppliers, because the customer (it was a chain store) suddenly decided to add another 15 TV points. B & Q was almost next door, and it was 5pm. Needless to say I marked the cable up from the B & Q price by 33%.
Likewise I was forced to buy a pack of AAA batteries at the most ridiculous price from Morrisons because when I visited one of my more helpless friends in Leeds the batteries in his remote were flat.
And I once paid a small fortune for one recordable CD. I was in Limerick and I needed to post some data.
Bill

Job and knock:-)
--
Adam

You're trading your time & convenience (which has a cost) against the inflated price of something you need right *now*. Might be galling, but sometimes you have no choice. Even then it can be a winner if you work out the cost of the hassle / inconvenience of getting a better price.
I use a lot of CR2032 button batteries in various items. Usually get them in boxes of 10 by by mail order. If I forget to do so, and have to buy a battery locally, there's no need to stick a GPS tracking device on my Zimmer frame to trace my route to the local shops. You can tell my route by the clouds of angry-looking steam emanating from the top of my head...even so, the need outweighs the cost.
--
Dennis Davis < snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm>

*terribly* witty subject heading, dahling...
J^n

So no different from buying milk from a corner shop to a supermarket?
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

I've just purchased some milk at a corners shop £1 for 4 pints.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Entirely different. Homobase have the same or greater purchasing power as TLC/Toolstation/Wilkinsons.
Tesco et al have much greater purchasing power than a corner shop.
Homobase work on huge margins to fleece the unwary.

4 pints of milk at Tesco used to be ~£1.30 until very recently until the pressure from the German duo must have forced them to go down to £1 like the rest...
I have a Tesco and an Asda at a similar distance from my house. Prices at Tesco for standard box-shifting stuff, i.e. branded goods, are at least 20% higher on average. Haven't set foot there in the last few years and glad to see that everybody else has finally woken up to this too.
On 04/10/2014 00:05, JoeJoe wrote:

SWMBO got a Morrisons loyalty card in the post. Similar to the one where you get points on petrol, but now applies in store.
Apparently when you swipe the card at the till it automatically compares the prices of the goods with the other big three supermarkets AND Aldi & Lidl. It mentions them by name.
You get points for any difference in price; including non branded goods.
"Morrisons has announced a new loyalty card scheme in an effort to seize back the initiative in the supermarket wars.
The retailer says its Match & More card will award points equivalent to the difference in price on items that are cheaper in other supermarkets.
Morrisons said its scheme provided a price match guarantee against discount chains Aldi and Lidl, as well as Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29454970

true, but many "corner shops" are served by a purchasing group such as "Costcutter" or "Londis".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 02/10/2014 18:33, charles wrote:

And on one or two occasions, chatting with the shopkeeper, I've been told he does his weekly grocery shop at a supermarket because it's cheaper than his wholesaler.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
On Thursday, 2 October 2014 23:23:37 UTC+1, John Williamson wrote:

Sounds familiar. When my late father gave up running his grocer's shop around 40 years ago this was one of the reasons he gave.

As do B&Q if you compare their prices with Toolstation. Or even sometimes Screwfix.
But you already knew this - so why buy from them?
--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

On this particular item B&Q were much cheaper. They aren't as bad as Homobase.

As I said, I was nearby.

Aside: I wish you wouldn't call them that: it's very Old Skool, not clever, and not funny, and above all it's unworthy of TMH that [I thought] I know and love!
I agree with you about their "pricing structures": we've just had one open here, so have had leisure to wander round: classic "marketing and presentation" aimed at their (increasingly not in accurate) idea of the general public: livestock, to be herded into the buying pens.
John
On 02/10/2014 19:29, Another John wrote:

I've been influenced by the scatter cushions, table lamps, cook ware, furniture etc that they sell in preference to things like sheets of plywood.

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:56:42 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:

This is the 2010s. Straight men are allowed to buy scatter cushions you know.
Homebase selling plywood is a bit like Woolworths competing with Poundland.
Owain