Homobase

Because a lot of the cheap supermarket stock is own brand, which he can't sell in his shop, and supermarkets generally limit the number of each item you can buy.

I've been told it's a deal with the wholesalers, but I'm not sure how credible my source was. I do know the limit exists. Try buying over a hundred 500ml bottles of mineral water or a few dozen loaves of bread.

Reply to
John Williamson

He needs to go to Lidl or Aldi. They'll sell you the entire shop stock if you are willing to pay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can bulk buy at Asda if you call ahead to order the stuff in. I expect other supermarkets would do the same.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I managed to order 50 tins of pineapple online from Waitrose (by mistake).

They did ring me to check if I really wanted them, but I missed the call, so they delivered them with the rest of the order. It was apparently pretty much the stores entire stock (they ahd had to bring small tins as well, to make up enough) :-)

Reply to
Chris French

It was, at least, novel... to begin with (unlike Microshaft or Micro$oft references seen in other groups where it's a case of 'preaching to the choir', 'Teaching Granny to suck eggs' and is getting just a little tired now).

The ideal would have been to only use the deliberate 'typo' in the subject line and nowhere else but I know what it's like when you think up an appropriate epiphet like this, you tend to get carried away with it.

I used to do the same with Microsoft and Packard Bell (Packard Bell End) but I tend to avoid such expressions now since, if persisted in, it tends to be regarded as not big nor clever.

Reply to
Johny B Good

En el artículo , The Medway Handyman escribió:

Homobase have huge stores = high rent and hordes of spotty sullen teenage "assistants" that have to be paid.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

regularly see people with trolleys loaded with just flour or tins of food (mushy peas seem popular)

Reply to
RJH

Mine too. Especially given your pathetic explanation.

Reply to
RJH

On this particular item B&Q were much cheaper. They aren't as bad as Homobase.

As I said, I was nearby.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds familiar. When my late father gave up running his grocer's shop around 40 years ago this was one of the reasons he gave.

Reply to
mark.bluemel

So the price premium was outweighed by the convenience.

And you probably recharged the part to the customer anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

It's sub-Clarkson. OOoh. Homo. Insult. Funny. Ha.

Reply to
Adrian

They also provide a "Service" of displaying the kit on shelves where you can study the goods up close and compare different versions side by side before making your purchase. Not easy when all the stock is held in a store room and only brought out to the front when you have bought it.

Reply to
news

Really? Lucky to find any staff in my local one - even on the till.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. I've seen people with trolleys groaning with multiples of just one item. I assumed they were buying it for commercial use.

If a supermarket is genuinely selling something as a loss leader I could understand them limiting the numbers. But Lidl etc don't do that sort of nonsense. Their customers aren't so easily conned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd get a refund. Their site says 2.99.

They do different qualities of own brand paint. I've found their top quality one pretty good. One of the few things I'd buy from them. People who buy paint for someone else to use usually buy the cheapest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting you choose such an insult. Thought you had connections with the ambulance service - which would fall apart without 'homos'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since when did bigotry require logic?

Reply to
Adrian

And what traumatic experience involving Beelzebub befell you in Toolsatan?

Reply to
mike

And, for all the complaints about it, nobody until now has seen to change the thread title to the (politically) correct Homebase...

Reply to
John Williamson