Home disco lighting (!)

My kids have started to love having something of a disco session in our back room, which is really fun and energetic for them now the evenings are shorter. We've got a cheap (=A34.99) plug in disco light which is OK, but I'd like to do something more for them (perhaps for Christmas).

In that room there are two redundant (in that we don't use them, but they do work) wall mounted lights. Does anyone know of a product that I could replace these lights with that might give something of a disco effect?

Most "proper" disco lights that I've seen are mains driven. Is there any reason why something like this couldn't be fitted to the lighting circuit?

If I'm barking up a completely nuts tree, let me know.

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

I can't see why something like the "4-Light DJ Sequencer" from Maplin couldn't be bolted to the wall in place of a wall light (proper switch mind - not a dimmer). The main power draw is 4 * 60W lamps =3D 240W which is quite a lot but not huge although you could fit lower wattage bulbs if desired. At only =C2=A330 it seems like quite good fun - if you're a kid or a grown-up acting like one.

Reply to
Calvin

Yes, that's the sort of thing. Are there no problems with the lack of an earth on the lighting circuits?

Would the same apply to something more like

?Thanks Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Lighting circuits normally have earth. Be aware of pwoer limits though, 5A or 6A max for the whole circuit.

I wouldnt bother with a sequencer myself. Sound to light gives a lot more bang per buck.

If youve got a big screen, there are some pretty funky visualisations out there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That depends. Firstly on whether you have an earth or not (some installations do, some don't depending on age). Secondly on whether the luminaires require one or not. It's impossible to tell from the Maplin online descriptions, you'd need to go into a store, get one out of the box and examine it.

The unit you mention doesn't even say if it's mains powered or not so you'd really need to eyeball it. Anyway I only chose Maplin as an example, in practice I'm sure you can find a mains powered, non-earth requiring if you need it, disco light to bolt on the wall. Remember that you probably only have 5A (1.150kW) available on the lighting circuit including all of your other luminaires so you might not want to get too carried away.

Reply to
Calvin

LED Par can or 2, dont worry about the dmx control bit , they have on board sound activated and colour fade programs, low power, low heat and no fragile lamps, also available in polished alloy.

56 can is just over 7" diameter btw

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby