Herrings In - a reprise

AS of this morning, the Nixie brand are back in Lidl, tomato, peppery and others; you just have to sort through the box

Reply to
gareth evans

They used to do salmon in the same style, but I haven't seen that for probably a few years.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

We are off out shortly but I will call in to the local Lidl on the way back and see if they have any.

Reply to
Brian

The Nixe brand never went away in my Epsom Lidl.

Reply to
Dave W

Did they not make display tubes?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nixie tubes were certainly a thing, but I don't know if they were made by a firm called Nixie.

Reply to
Dave W

"The name Nixie was derived by Burroughs from "NIX I", an abbreviation of "Numeric Indicator eXperimental No. 1",[6] although this may have been a backronym designed to justify the evocation of the mythical creature with this name."

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ha! As an apprentice, I spent 6 weeks in my firms instrument test dept. They had created a numeric indicator which had an illuminated numbered section of photographic film instead of a dial and indicator needle.

I think they called it a *digivisor*. My job was to calibrate the things. They suffered a number of defects and were quickly wiped out by Nixie tubes and their ilk.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Any connection with the Neon tropical fish? :-)

Reply to
gareth evans

I used dekatrons for my pulse counters.

Reply to