Help please Moving Aga Cooker

If this includes major disassembly and reassembly with new gaskets, building of new plinth, fuel supply, flue arrangement, then it could easily be that kind of price.

Over a small distance like this it's possible for the move to be done with steel rollers, but it requires 3-4 people to do it safely.

You could do that. The plates, like most of the internal components are fitted together with systems of studs and nuts to adjust the heights. Normally on installation cold the plates are adjusted slightly low so as to be at the correct height and working temperature.

I would find out if they are proposing to partly disassemble the cooker to move it. If they are then they will have to adjust it anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In SUMMER?

Thats bullshit. I light mine every autumn and kill it every summer.

Generally its when they run out of OIL that you are in deep shit. You get airlocks in the fuel pipe. And crap in the filters.

Otherwise its simply a question of turning the oil on, waiting ten minutes and lighting it. These days I don' even open the hole in the burner ring: Playing a blowtorch over it usually gets enough kerosene vaporised to have it light with a satisfying 'pop'

It's also interestijng to note

Actually we do have two electric cookers as well, but we almost NEVER use the electric OVEN. Its the rings on top that are used.

I think my ideal cooker would be an aga oven with a gas hob actually.

For us the main advantages are that its supremely efficient oil heater..the oven is very good, and if its output exceeds the needs of the time of year, off it goes. AND It survives power cuts. In a rural locations without gas this is a not inconsiderable advantage. Short of a camping gaz stove, even a cup of coffee is not on, when the trees take a line out.

I would NOT want to go back to coal though..never ever. coal fired cooker is better than no cooker at all, but its the worst of all possible worlds really otherwise.

It's never red hot. If the insulation is in good nick its between 40 and

60C. You can bur yourself on a radiator more easily. Even the hottest plate is seldom much more than 150C. And that stays covered..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The rural solutions for hobs gobs work well - ie bottles or tanks.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

How can the results possibly be superior? Cooking, like chemistry, is simply applying heat to food for a set period. My oven has a fan which makes it even more efficient & temperature stable. Perhaps Agas use a different form of heat! BTW, it is possible to buy a second hand Aga for less than £1000.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

No, its not.

Other factors like humidity and whether the heat is applied via convection, contact or radiation or internally generated via microwave penetration make a HUGE difference to the surface at least, of cooked food.

Less efficient since is uses to some extent outside air.

Yes, they are.

There is significant radiaties heat from the top oven top, to brown off food that would otherwise need to be grilled. There is sufficient retention of moisture to not necessitate foiling or covering many roasts.

If thats all you understand by cooking, Id stick to pot noodles if I were you.

Not installed it aint!

It's possible to buy a gas or electric cooker at more than a new aga costs as well.

Agas are neiher totally great, nor rubbish. They are radically different and you cannot compare them directly with anything else. Maybe a Rayburn..but that's it..

Neither can you cook food on or in them the same way you do with a more common type of fan blown oven with gas hobs.

You have to understand the beast and take advantage of different techniques.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They probably should have done on a regular basis before since it was oil fired and required servicing.

My gas one gets serviced once a year by me and consists of turning off, disconnecting the union, removing the burner assembly, checking and cleaning and reassembling with a final check on burner pressure. It's then back up to operating temperature in about 3hrs.

I do have a proper cooker, but just the one.

It was great for drying chili peppers a few weeks ago.

The cats appreciate it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Very easily.

Nope.

Drying out the food and essentially wrecking it.

largely radiant

and ?

Reply to
Andy Hall

A JCB Fastrac fitted with a loader would be much more useful. It will get you there faster, in comfort and can lift the offending chavmobiles out of the way when it gets there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aga owners, in a permanent state of denial.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Should I have added the words "and stays there" so that you weren't confused?

Reply to
Andy Hall

My Rayburn is shut down for the summer, just as I would shut down any heating system in hot weather. I think of it as a boiler with extra abilities.

Reply to
S Viemeister

More like £6000 for an entry level one.

mark

Reply to
Mark

No. IIRC the entry level is about £3200

How much did it cost you to put central heating in your 30 sq meter family kitchen?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

£1800 - which heats the whole house and provides hot water (four bedrooms). Unfortunately it doesn't cook. The previous boiler lasted 33 years. Will your Aga still be working in 2040? BTW, I wish I did have a 30 sq meter kitchen - that's one huge area - 18' x 18' in real units!

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

but otherwise why bother paying ?1000+ for what is essentially a

Almost certainly. In laws coal aga was still going strong after 50 years. Basically there is almost nothing to them- a parrafin stove with a lot of heat exchangers bolted on it.

20x15 feet IIRC. 6.5 meters by 5 and a smidgeon I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 12 Nov 2007 13:30:21 GMT someone who may be Huge wrote this:-

I know one who doesn't. Not even a microwave or electric kettle.

I soon got used to it.

Reply to
David Hansen

I don't cook with my central heating boiler.

Reply to
Huge

How wasteful!

Reply to
S Viemeister

How innefficient of you. So 20th century ;-)

Do you have a separate boiler for hot water and central heating too, or are you like 'two combis' Drivel?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A new Middle-of-the-range Aga is now somewhere near £7000!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..