Possible? Aga and radiator..

Hi all,
We have an Aga with back boiler in kitchen which is connected to a direct HW cylinder on the first floor. It works via thermosyphon and has done for years.
It is apt to kettling the cylinder at times, usually during the night when the lids are shut. We always have an excess of very hot water when the aga is running at cooking temperature.
Adjacent to the kitchen & behind the Aga, we have an un-heated utility. Is there any way that a small radiator could be plumbed into the thermosyphon pipes so as to both heat the utility somewhat, and also provide abit of a heatsink to the aga to prevent it kettling the cylinder???
TIA Tim.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:11:26 +0100, Tim.. wrote:

If the proposed heatsink (aka heat dump) rad is on the same level as the Aga it would probably have to be pumped to be effective. My mum's (solid-fuel-converted-to-gas) Aga boils its cylinder quite regularly. I've been thinking of (a) putting a TMV on the outlet so it doesn't strip your flesh from the bone when you inadvertently wash under it when it's hot (b) converting it to a thermal store (c) getting Doctor Drivel involved in yet another discussion degenerating into a "you're a plant-pot" slanging match with Dave P (Andy Hall having sadly popped his clogs) :-/
--
John Stumbles

Hypnotising Hypnotists Can Be Tricky

Yes the rad would be ~at the same level as the aga, and i wondered if it would need to be pumped via a thermostat or timer...
TIA Tim.
John Stumbles wrote:

I think that as long as the pipe bore is fairly large, and the main circuit has height, you can pop another rad *in the same circuit* and it will take flow. .
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Might it help to use a tall radiator with feed at the bottom & return taken off the top?
Tim

I do not converse with plantpots. That is clear. I remind them of their condition. I never called Andy a plantpot - everything else but not a plantpot :)
A heat bank is probably the way. The gravity flow pipe from the Aga to the top of the cylinder, so the heat is fed right into the plate heat exchanger when DHW is called. Also if there is a boiler that can be used to heat the store too. A high limit stat set to say 95C can operate the DHW pump which acts a shunt pump, pumping hotter water at the top to the bottom of the cylinder to the cooler bottom. There are devices that mechanically operate and allow cold mains water to extract heat from the store and go to a drain. Simple to do. It can also do the CH as well.