cleaning the cooker

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I clean it off?
So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious. Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?
TW

What about a steam cleaner?
On 04/08/18 15:46, Scott wrote:

ROFLMAO. You have never owned an Aga have you?
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 17:17:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

No :-(

Angle Grinder :) we have carbon steel frying pans (pub kitchen) and when the underneath gets caked in burnt on fat thats the only thing that will remove it with a grinder wire brush
-

That’s going to really fuck the aga enamel.
On 04/08/18 15:41, TimW wrote:

Scrap it off and then use wet and dry and buff with T-cut.
Or get teh whole top re-enamelled

Nope. Maybe a blowlamp would work

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.
On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

Sodium hydroxide. Dangerous stuff. Dunno if you can still buy it these days
You used to be able to buy it in a "jellied" form which you plastered on and left for a couple of hours and then washed off.

Corse you can, as a drain cleaner.

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

Paint scraper

Stovax glass cleaner has been mentioned.
Owain
On 04/08/18 17:25, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

would nitromors do it?
On 04/08/2018 19:24, TimW wrote:

I don't think even the old Methylene Chloride "Nitromors" will touch the worst of it. Boiling, strong sodium hydroxide solution probably gives you the best chance. Not recommended unless you are used to handling aggressive chemicals.
The lacquers from oxidised oils and greases are *very* chemically resistant. Otherwise you are down to mechanical methods (wire brush, sanding disk).
On 04/08/2018 19:35, newshound wrote:

Sodium hydroxide, (dangerous, 1 drop in the eye and you are blinded) I think this is what the `oven cleaner companies` use but in gel form to avoid splashes. it would help if the parts concerned could be diassembled and taken outside and soaked in a tray for an hour. Available on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Hydroxide-99-Pearl-1Kg-Next-Working-Day-Delivery/141696033161?epid 44890341&hash=item20fdbde189:g:wQwAAOSwc2FaFepm
On 04/08/2018 20:37, ss wrote:

When were were students, a place we rented had a Baby Belling cooker. It was pretty grim when we moved in- various oven cleaners didn't really do the job.
I mixed up some strong NaOH sol., immersed the bits I could, and used a paint brush to apply the rest- covering it with kitchen roll and cling film.
After maybe and hour, I cleaned it all off and there wasn't a trace of old grease etc.

That’s rather different to the top of an Aga tho. Certainly worth trying, but it wouldn’t be surprising if its much harder to fix.
But surely it must be well known how to fix an Aga by now ?
On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:

Or just buy it as 'caustic soda' at any decent hardware store.

--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

But be aware that NaOH gets pretty hot when being dissolved, and can boil and spit, so there's a real risk of it splashing into your eyes. As a very minimum precaution, wear goggles, preferably a full-face visor.
--

Chris

On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:

Even sidium hydrxide does not work on this.
I have had an aga for 14 years....

Are you saying that that is a very fundamental design flaw and that the only viable approach is to clean the enamel top after every use or so for cooking so the fat doesn’t bet baked on ?
Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't that easy to get.
On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

Yes.

what does that do9 to carbon?
--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,