Glyphosate and neigbours revisited

The glyphosate saga ended well. One of the neighbours asked what I had done in the garden. I said I had just put down some basic weedkiller to make a start on tackling the weeds. Another neighbour said she did not know that had happened to the vegetation in the garden - it must have been the drought (not noticing that all other gardens were unaffected).
On 04/08/2018 15:06, Scott wrote:

Thanks for the reminder.
Just had a have a look at the tree that I gave a good dosing of glyphosate about 8 weeks ago.
All the leaves are drooping and it does not look happy.
--
Adam

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:25:22 +0100, ARW

My sister-in-law says it needs some rain or watering in to ensure it gets absorbed by the roots. May be wrong of course.
On 04/08/2018 15:27, Scott wrote:

It got a 20mm hole drilled into the trunk and the glyphosphate poured into the hole. The rain seems to have done its job.
--
Adam

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:34:30 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

I was told you needed to cut the bark off a tree anout 5 inches or so all aroundas most of the nutrients flow through the bark to the leaves removing the bark kills the tree but only slowly. That way you don't need chemicals.
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 04:00:18 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

Or use dynamite as Clarkson once did on Comic Relief.
whisky-dave wrote:

But very obvious.
On Monday, 6 August 2018 15:38:08 UTC+1, FMurtz wrote:

Ah I didn't know the aim was to murder it. :)
On 04/08/18 15:27, Scott wrote:

Glyphosate is not absorbed by the roots
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Thanks. I should probably have said 'transported through the plant'. My sister-in-law says it needs some rain or watering in to ensure it is transported through the plant. May be wrong of course.
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 22:31:14 +0100, Tim Streater

Thanks. That's clearer.

It needs the plant to be growing so there's a good circulation of sap. I applied some in the dry weather, and hasn't worked anywhere near as effectively as it would if there was enough water around for the plants to be actually growing. It might still operate if we get rain. It doesn't work by watering in to the soil - soil deactivates it. It needs to be absorbed by the plant above ground, and carried to the roots in the sap. Most preparations have detergents in them so it is absorbed through the leaves.
--
Andrew Gabriel