Glyphosate residues - David

David you may recall that soem time back we had a discussion here on glyphosate residues - it arose from a post that was made by Sheldon and where I responded about how it seemed to leave residues that had an impact on roses. You asked if anyone had seen and 'real' info on any residues.

The Jan/Feb 2013 (and yes, that 2013 date is correct) copy of the ABC 'Organic Gardener' mag has a response from Jerry C-W in the Q and A section about this very topic and he's given has lots of cites. It seems there is lots of well researched findings on the residues and he mentions which foods it can be found in which were grown a year after application.

Reply to
Farm1

Thanks. It looks like the article isn't on line. Any chance you could give me the references?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

while I have been hanging out in rec.gardens i noticed this question. I ha= ven't researched glyphosate fate in soils directly but I have read some of = the literature. glyposate is essentially a phosphonated amino acid. There = are many bacterial strains that can completely degrade glyphosate to CO2, p= hosphate and amino acid. With the right genes bacteria eat glyphosate very = well, as a carbon and energy source, as a P source and as an N source. How= ever, in a soil that has not been previously exposed to glyphosate, it will= take weeks to months to develop a microbial population that degrades glyph= osate. Subsequent applications were found to be degraded quite rapidly and = completely, within a week, IIRC.

Also I was under the impression that glyphosate is an effective plant kille= r only in foliar application, but I may be wrong.

Stuart

PS: Best luck to the Aussies on the list in the threatened zones.

So whether significant glyphosate would remain in a particular soil would d= epend

Reply to
Stuart Strand

More message actions

6:18 PM (2 minutes ago)

- show quoted text - while I have been hanging out in rec.gardens i noticed this question. I ha= ven't researched glyphosate fate in soils directly but I have read some of = the literature. glyposate is essentially a phosphonated amino acid. There = are many bacterial strains that can completely degrade glyphosate to CO2, p= hosphate and amino acid. With the right genes bacteria eat glyphosate very = well, as a carbon and energy source, as a P source and as an N source. How= ever, in a soil that has not been previously exposed to glyphosate, it will= take weeks to months to develop a microbial population that degrades glyph= osate. Subsequent applications were found to be degraded quite rapidly and = completely, within a week, IIRC.

So whether significant glyphosate would remain in a particular soil would d= epend on whether the soil had been exposed to glyphosate previously. If it= had (within a few years), the soil bacterial population probably would hav= e sufficient copies of the glyphosate degradation pathway (only a couple ge= nes) to degrade the chemical to undetectable.