best place for glyphosate

I need to blitz my old lawn / weeds before re-turfing. Where is the best (c heapest) place to get some glyphosate concentrate (say 40 to 50% contentrat e) that does not break the bank and avoids internet delivery costs? 500ml s hould do it. Any good chain of garden centres, for example. Midlands region . Thanks, Simon.
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

You're right to specify the concentration. Much of it in garden centres is dilute and works out absurdly expensive.
Have you tried eBay? Ask on uk.rec.gardening
Just be careful you don't kill everything around by spray-drift. Choose a calm day, or cover adjacent flowerbeds and shrubs with old compost sacks or polythene sheet.
It's still a bit early to spray anything yet. Leave it until the lawn gets into full growth, say in about a month or six weeks. Takes a long time to be effective, otherwise.
--

Chris

<snip>

And even after you have driven home from a spraying job, make sure there is no glyphosate still on your boots before you walk over your own (immaculate) lawn (like my gardener mate didn't).
You could still see the footprints months later! ;-(
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

I bought 5L of Clinc Ace 360g/l glyphosate a few years ago. I can't recall the cost, but it wasn't very much, and it'll probably last me another 5 years or so.

Farm supply places? They might only sell it by the gallon though.
Theo
On Monday, 13 March 2017 18:19:04 UTC, Theo wrote:

I think they only sell it to people with a licence nowadays.
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson

When we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? Relatively benign environmentally. Damned effective.
On 13/03/2017 18:21, Scott wrote:

Was it banned because you can make it into a bomb? In which case, we might differ about the effect on the environment. :)

Is a bomb particularly bad for the environment? It may have other negative consequences in terms of health and safety and social cohesion. Surely any terrorist would use something more modern than sodium chlorate.

On 13/03/17 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:

When I wanted to get a quick stock of glyphosate last year in case it disappeared from the market I got some of Wilkinson's own brand. IIRC it was 360g/l, so a good concentrate. It was a fair bit cheaper than branded versions too.
But I just checked on Wilko's website and they don't list their own-brand glyphosate. Maybe they no longer sell it, but if there's a shop nearby it would be worthwhile checking to see if there is any on the shelves.
--

Jeff

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 08:33:45 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

Try ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/262001119456? lpid2&chn=ps&adgroupid5352091421&rlsatarget=pla-278386804491&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc46671&device=c&campaignids8466455&crdt=0
or with a shorter link:
https://tinyurl.com/znvvded Or, give your recipients confidence with a preview TinyURL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/znvvded
I bought the Gallup 490 recently (NB it is the concentrate so mix according to instructions). No problems with ordering or delivery.
I see you only want a small amount though - try Rosate 36 also on ebay - 13.99 for 1 litre.
On 13/03/2017 15:33, sm_jamieson wrote:

Is the lawn that far gone that you need to blitz it with glyphosate? BTW glyphosate seldom kills buttercup or ivy the first time around.
In spring using a broadleaf specific weed and feed mixture with a moss killer will turn even quite badly degraded lawns back into something presentable more cheaply and with a lot less effort than relaying turf from scratch. Then rake out the dross and reseed any bald patches.
If you insist on glyphosate then wait until it warms up a bit and the grass is growing strongly. Be careful of spray drift and traces left on boots or you will leave outlines where you step on good grass and cause lots of unintended collateral damage in the borders.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
sm_jamieson wrote: