Glyphosate and neighbours

Two of my neighbours object to the use of glyphosate. Can I tell them I have bought the special organic version - it's made of organophosphorus :-)
There again, in seven days time I could just tell them it must have been the drought that killed the weeds.
On 21/06/2018 16:55, Scott wrote:

You could just spray some fertiliser I bought from the Pound Shop. God knows what's in it, but it kills everything it touches.
On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 4:55:07 PM UTC+1, Scott wrote:

Why tell them anything.
On 16:55 21 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

The object to your own use of it?

It's a mutual garden where no-one shows much enthusiasm for gardening.
On 21/06/2018 18:12, Scott wrote:

Using weedkiller is DIY gardening.
Just dropped 25 litres of the stuff on the roots of a tree in a neighbours garden.
--
Adam

"ARW" wrote in message

Copper nail knocked in does the trick Adam :)
Andrew
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 20:21:29 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
Nope
AJH
On 21/06/2018 22:40, snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk wrote:

The ones I nailed into my MD's tree in his front garden have done fuck all in two years.
He knew about it, he supplied the nails and said "wait until the wife is out before you fit them"
--
Adam

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Fallacy Tested with 10x 4inch copper nails into base of sycamore 5 years ago and it still lives
-

It's not entirely fallacious. The people who owned this house before us mounted a tap on a cherry tree using brass screws and that was making the tree rather poorly. Admittedly, it wasn't dying.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 27th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184

Where do you get 'copper nails' from? I'd guess they're quite difficult to knock in too as copper is decidedly soft.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

Amazon marketplace
On 22/06/2018 20:31, Chris Green wrote:

Only if it is very pure, and not if it is cold-worked. Or perhaps "copper" nails are actually bronze? 5% tin won't add much to the cost but will make them as strong as steel.
On 21/06/2018 18:37, ARW wrote:

What a waste! Glyphosate is rapidly adsorbed by clay in soil and has to hit green plant material to cause any significant damage.
Holly, ivy and buttercups seem to shrug it off too.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Thursday, 21 June 2018 21:26:37 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

Not if you mix it with paraffin instead of water. Use very sparingly and paint onto leaves.
On 22/06/2018 05:58, harry wrote:

Leave the weeds to grow then ;-)

I was talking of mass application to kill rough ground. Even the smallest holly and ivy seedlings just shrug it off and are left alive.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 21/06/2018 21:26, Martin Brown wrote:

TBH I never looked at was in the weedkiller. I know that it killed a 16ft conifer in a year just by pouring it on or around the roots. Well dead enough just that they had to cut it down.
--
Adam

On 22/06/2018 18:35, ARW wrote:

Doesn't that sound more like SBK?

Why are you using it on the garden? Is this selective by area, or over the whole plot? (It might not be the right product for the task.)
Really, you all need to get together and decide what you want to do with the garden, and who does which bits of the work. If there's a large area of weeds to be cleared, you can volunteer to do it with glyphosate, and they might instead offer to do it with a cultivator (or get a "man" in), in which case you could accept that alternative as it gets you off the hook for that. What is the intended use of that area afterwards? Who is going to prepare it? Who is going to maintain it? Do you collectively have a mower? (Perhaps you all need to chip in for one.)
Invite them to a meeting, and those who show up and offer to do the work get to decide. As a shared garden, you probably don't have the right to use any chemicals on it without their approval.
--
Andrew Gabriel