Help for TV/satellite cabling

I haven't used screened facplates - too expensive and can't see the need. What I did was simply buy blank faceplates, drill a hole and fit an F-Type Bulkhead connector ... this maintains screen continuity - no exposed core at all ... unlike some face plates with screw terminals for the cable (arrrgh !) Bulk head connectors SECON2 ... =A32.63 for 10 !

these on standard blanking plates (=A32 or so) and a quailty and very cheap outlet.

Screening the faceplate would make zero difference when using these

Reply to
Osprey

Is it wise to have a screened faceplate that contains both Satellite and / or Terrestrial and / or cable signals? I've heard of interference on the screen from one source affecting the other...

can you get opto-isolators for Co-Ax signals of all types?

Reply to
Ian Bethell

I am considering a Sky+ box but am not enamoured with the idea of shelling out a tenner a month in subscription costs. Also, don't you lose all content on the box if you stop subscribing? Still, I've heard quite a few good things about them from those that have one...

Reply to
Inquisitive

I believe Sky+ is free above a certain subscription level. It's only the= basic subs that have an extra tenner added.

You could go for a "poor mans Sky+" with Freesat and a HDD or DVD recorder that has GuidePlus+. I fairly sure a feature of GuidePlus+ is the abilty to control an external cable to sat box. Dedicate a Sky box t= o the recorder and have another to watch and with the free EPG on the GuidePlus+ system you pretty much have Sky+ for the free stuff. Most mai= n stream channels are free to air now (all BBC and ITV offerings). Channel=

4 and five are free to view thus need a card but not a sky sub.

You can get a Sky box from ebay for about =A340, =A330 for a dish, cable= and connectors kit, =A320 for a quad LNB and =A320 (one off) to Sky for a Fr= eesat card. With only one card one must remember to move it to the recorders box when you want to record Ch4 or five.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com declared for all the world to hear...

Only if your channel packages is sub-£30. Add movies or sports and you at least get some value, rather than just paying £10 to have the recording feature enabled.

No idea.

Sky+ is awesome, it will make your VCR and DVD recorder virtually redundant.

Reply to
Jon

I always use the best quality sat cable for everything.

Never use cheap rubbish.

Reply to
Jomtien

Yes. I use F-connectors for all coax connections. Only for the final connection to a TV would I use a TV coax connector.

I only use the twist-on type and have done so for years. I find them to be completely reliable and easy to re-use should the connection need to be remade for whatever reason.

Reply to
Jomtien

Yup, same here

Reply to
John Rumm

Inquisitive wrote on 4 Jan 2007 13:56:43 -0800:

If you have Movies or Sports, the + sub is free. If you stop subscribing you can't watch the recorded programmes when your card is updated, but they don't get "lost" - they remain on the disk until you delete them or you sub to + again. As I have Movies I pay nothing extra for +, and I've been very happy with it.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

I understand their trade counters carry stock, or deliver it free the next day (or so I was told!)

Screwfix co-ax plugs are not good, they work okay if you solder them on though.

Reply to
Doctor D

If you are in Freeview (aka DTT) served area, go with a DTT PVR. No on going fee, but the same, if not exceeding, functionality of Sky +

Humax 9200 and Topfield 5800 are arguably the best two models.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Maplins have FT-100 cable at half price. This means 100m is £64, which means normally it would cost £128.

screwfix WF100 comes out at £44 for 100m.

Anyone care to say one is better. Is Maplin cable grossly overpriced?

Reply to
Jane T

Wickes satellite cable is about 28 squid for a 100m drum. I've had no bother with it but I've never used it on a long run.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

Or even:

lots of advice on this site. Robert

Reply to
robert

You can walk into a small electrical wholesaler anywhere and get CT100-type cable for £27 per 100 (+VAT). Having said that, I do know of one such place that simply doesn't sell anything better than the horrible cheap stuff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

look here

depends what you want to pay but ive always found ct100 at £17/100m to be ok

Reply to
BJ

Cheapest ct100 I could find online was toolstation.com at ~£23 per 100m. Is your £17/100m online or just local stores?

Cheers

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Winkless

local store but with vat not much in it if its a very long run a lower loss cable would be better

Reply to
BJ

> it depends what you want to pay but ive always found ct100 at £17/100m to > be ok

Ok, without wanting to sound like Alan Davies and hearing the siren.

Just used your search at CPC and found the following 2 cables

?SKU=CBBR0125
?SKU=CBCT100-100BLKIs the first or second cable CT-100?

If like you suggested the first is CT-100, then why is the price four times greater on the second? and why does the first cable not say CT-100.

FWIW, I want to split the signal to 6 TV's so looking to minimise loss.

Reply to
Jane T

You don't really want to split to 6 TV's unless you have a fairly hefty head amp and a good signal to feed that.

What you need is a distribution amplifier with (more) outlets than you currently require. Using CT100 is still a good idea though, even if you are only going to distribute normal Band iV and V TV at this moment in time. Some point in the future you might want to distribute a satellite signal which would require CT100.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice