is satellite cable suitable for an outside aerial?

I just bought an SLX aerial from Toolstation thinking there was coax cable included but there is not. I already have coax in the loft so I only need 10 metres or so to connect from the aerial on the chimney to the coax in the loft. I do however have a large roll of black satellite cable, it's a bit fatter than coax. would this be suitable for the linking section?

Reply to
AJH

If you can make the connection, it will work.

Reply to
McGyver

Reply to
Java Jive

thanks all I'm on the case with sat cable!

AJ

Reply to
AJH

Just an update on this one in case it helps anyone else. I joined the sat cable to the existing coax but it was no good as the TV couldn't get a signal as of course the coax is not suitable for digital signals. Luckily I have enough sat cable to be able to be able to go all the way to the TV. For now I've fitted the cable to my new digital aerial and left it coiled in the loft, later I will run it through the loft then down the front wall and into the lounge.

Incidentally I bought an aerial chimney lashing bracket but as it was a bit flimsy I re-used the original one, although it's still pressed steel it's thicker and stronger so doesn't flex so much, it's also hot dip galvanised rather than the cheaper galvanising that you get today! For good quality looking gear look at Satcure.com.

AJ

Reply to
AJH

No, this cannot be right.

If you read my intro + DIY page following the link I gave, you will have read that there is no such thing as a digital e-m wave, and therefore, despite millions of sales patters to the contrary, there is no such thing as a digital aerial, or indeed downlead. The majority of existing aerial installations will be able to receive Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT ak in the UK as Freeview) without alteration. Some transmitters do change aerial group at DSO, but relatively few.

Either there is a fault in the existing coax - perhaps a new one somehow created by yourself as you were changing things around - or else you were not joining the ends properly. Do you have either a meter or else one of those 9v lantern batteries and an appropriate bulb. What happens if you try a continuity test on the old coax? If you are trying to join the ends, then either you need a Belling male/female plug pair, or else a double female connecting block, or if using the satellite style F-connectors, which would be preferable for this purpose, a double F-connecting block.

Oh, and don't make the join outside in the weather, or if you absolutely must, try and protect it from the worst, and seal it with self-amalgamating tape. Normal electrical insulating tape is not really adequate for this purpose.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial!

Fair enough. But I trust you obeyed the rule of fifths - the two halves of the bracket ought to be separated by at least a fifth of the length of the vertical pole?

Reply to
Java Jive

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Thanks Java Jive. I was having a similar problem and was going through this post for solutions. Will try once again.

-John

Reply to
johnm01

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

It doesn't really make a difference re the coax, it was obviously knacked as the copper braid had blackened, as I had the sat cable I was quite happy to use it as the coax could have been 30years old or more and the sat cable was new last year. why struggle with ancient material when modern stock is obviously superior. It's true that the existing aerial did receive digital transmissions but again it was old kit and knackered as the dipole plate contacts poles being aluminium were well corroded by years up there taking it all. I am perfectly happy with my bracket fixing.

Reply to
AJH