TV aerial cable

I'm in the process of cabling an old house for network (cat 5e not 6) & telephone. It has just dawned on me that I also should run co-ax for tv and radio outlets at the same time. Any suggestions please for what type of co-ax I should use and any recommended suppliers. I will need about 300m for each. Max. run is about 35m.

Any other pratfalls that I should be aware of?

The old house was totally rewired and equipped with a new ch/hw system about 6 years ago. These are fine. Burglar alarm and smoke/fire detection stuff is in place and working well.

The house is my late fathers old place and I intend to move into it..... eventually.

Thanks

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Repeat your query in uk.tech.digital-tv and see if Bill Wright can give you some ideas. He is a true professional installer who is happy to share his expertise with the group.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in news:445bc6a1$0$9265$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Good advice - choosing the cable is the easy bit, you'll need amps and things to do the job right if you're splitting 300m into 8-odd runs.

mike

Reply to
mike

In message , Peter Crosland wrote

Bill's article on co-ax cable can be found at

Reply to
Alan

In article , Peter Crosland writes

CT100 satellite grade cable excellent for TV and Sat and most anything else!.

Expect CPC do it, possibly screwfix

Reply to
tony sayer

If you want Skyplus or similar multi-channel satellite PVR, you will need 2 (or more) cables from the dish or multiswitch to the PVR location.

Mains and co-ax cables to positions for CCTV cameras on the periphery?

Door entry intercom system?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

|I'm in the process of cabling an old house for network (cat 5e not 6) & |telephone. |It has just dawned on me that I also should run co-ax for tv and radio |outlets at the same time.

Run expensive Satellite cable everywhere, CT100 or similar, copper braid and *copper* foil, *no* aluminium.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|Repeat your query in uk.tech.digital-tv and see if Bill Wright can give you |some ideas. He is a true professional installer who is happy to share his |expertise with the group.

Agreed Bill is a great Guy.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Any CAI certified cable. Look for the certificate number printed down the length of the cable.

Our preference is for Pope WF100 which is a foam filled cable. It is slightly more resilient than air cored like H109F, but either will be fine if you take care not to damage it with sharp bends.

Check the certificate is current BTW. One manufacturer has lost their certification for some reason. You will be safe with Pope or Volex though.

Oh yes, don't be fobbed off with "SAT100" aluminium foil screened rubbish.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

On Sat, 6 May 2006 08:56:18 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" had this to say:

As used by Vatican Radio?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Are they bringing the Pope name back, Andy? I'd have called it Webro WF100. Whichever, I second your recommendation - WF100 (Webro Foam,

1.00 mm) is good stuff. I far prefer the foam dielectric cables over the more traditional (in Britain) 5-cell semi-air spaced kind. Foam doesn't conduct water, and is easier to handle, less prone to kinking and crushing, etc. etc.

:-) Pope NV was a Dutch coaxial cable manufacturer, well-known for their TV distribution cables. They were part of the Philips empire, until being acquired by Belden about a decade ago. The factory in Venlo is still going (and is also where CT100 is now made, since the old Raydex factory in Skelmersdale closed).

BTW, the CAI list of approved 'benchmarked' cables is here:

Andy Wade

Care to say who Andy ?

Dave

Reply to
gort

He is. I pointed out, in a nice way, something that was incorrect on the aerials part of the web site and I had a really great, nice email back thanking me for spotting it.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Well, I am embarrassed to admit that I can't find any trace of the Pope name. Shows how long I have been trying to earn a crust in this business I suppose. And all without the use of wet string and car body filler. :-)

Maybe it's been re-issued. Still wouldn't use their products though, since they did the independents over in the same way that Labgear did. Mind you, Labgear reaped just rewards for that.