hedge

Remainers. They are so stressed out

Sreiousluy. I planet holly. The only hedge sized on is now 20+ years old. The rest are still knee high, but I hvae Bay that i need ladders to top as well as yew.

I really like my viburnum tinus. Winter flowering white, and clips to an evergreen bush or hdege

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

mini digger works

So too does fire

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or destroyed. plus any underground services nearby If they're 45yo you'll need some Large equipment to pull them out. And if it goes wrong the whip-back can take your head off.

Assuming you don't get them pulled out, stumps can be got rid of with a handheld circular saw & hammer. Not quick, but effective.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I didn't realise that you had access to a tractor, but don't underestimate the root problem. Trees of that age will have an extensive root system. It may not be deep, but it will be far-reaching. See detailed info here:

So that wall will be at risk. I had a conifer hedge removed as it was in a terrible state. I guess it was in in excess of 25 years old, as some of the trunks were well over a foot in diameter, and were often twin/triple. The tree branches had not only damaged a fence a couple of feet away, but replacing the panels proved difficult as the damn roots had moved and sometimes slightly rotated the concrete posts, so getting the panels to fit was a challenge (not for me, but the guys fitting them!).

Heh. Dry leylandii will burn really well! You've still got time before

5th November...

If you have access to compost, then that makes sense.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

My experience with Bay is that it remained quite slow growing for many years and then just took off at around 4ft/year.

Reply to
alan_m

I thought you were moving funds between different currencies in anticipation of Brexit :-)

Reply to
Scott

There is a 40 feet high one with similar spread on the other side of my back garden fence in a housing association property.

It was a potted shrub that was planted outside about 44 years ago according to the old boy who still lives in one of the flats, while the planter has long since joined the carbon-cycle.

Now no-one wil accept responsibility for it. Every year it rains berries onto my garden which germinate and grow. There are brambles growing right up through it and then dripping down onto my side of the fence, also dropping berries everywhere.

Laurel turns into an effective hedge, possibly too effective.

Reply to
Andrew

How goes it Bill? I hope that you are feeling better.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

What they can NOT do is coexist with drains or houses.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Eucalyptus is a demon for choking drains too...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Varies with the eucalyptus, there are thousands of different ones.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Cheaper and easier.

harry

slow though. A saw's faster.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not like you to be thinking short term Bill. Moving house?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This is te asnwer!

The Natural Philosopher

Yeah great. All you need to do is move to America where the ground is tinder dry and it will work. I have burned out a pear tree stump using potassium nitrate to preload it so it will smoulder deep underground.

His solution basically lopps it off at just below ground level and probably only really works for resinous pine trees at that. It might just work on leylandii stumps if he loads them up with KNO3 during the winter and waits until a long dry midsummer spell to set light.

Eventually I had to dig the remaining roots out anyway since they started sprouting suckers from each detached underground piece.

Reply to
Martin Brown