hedge

Along a hedge I have a group of five forty-year-old laylandii. Three have died, probably because they were over-run by ivy. I'm going to pull them out. But what can I put in their place? I want something fast growing. It doesn't matter about the new ones being intruder-resistant because I'm also going to have a strong fence along there.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Datstest grwires are...leylandii.

You might try bay if you want a fast growing evergreen

Or bay laurel.

Even yew is not that slow - 4"-8" a year.

Don't plant holly. You will be dead before it grows and box is another slow grower too.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, that's tactful.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, leylandii are the datstest grwires :-) Besides, it would look odd to have something different there.

But it would be worth improving the soil where the old ones were. After 45 years it will be pretty impoverished. Dig in plenty of compost before you plant the new ones, either your own garden stuff if you make it or a bag or two from your local garden centre.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Willow. Can grow 5 ft in four months.

Not sure if they will co-exist with leylandii.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

How are you going to "pull them out"? Are you going to get pros in who will cut them down, saw/shred, and then stump grind what's left (including the stumps of the dead trees)?

Once the stumps and roots have been ground, you will find the soil left is several times the volume it was before the grinding process, and is at a much higher level. It will take some time, and a lot of rain, to return it to normal. Then, what you plant will struggle a bit as the composting process for the ground stump removes nitrogen from he soil. Adding some general fertiliser when you plant the trees should help.

As to fast-growing plants to consider, have a look at eucalyptus. There are various species and varieties, all of which are hardy and evergreen, and you can leave them to grow or pollard/stool them if you want.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Could somebody explain to the Holly in my neighbours garden that it is supposed to grow slowly? It keeps on pushing its way through the fence and it aint arf sharp on the leaf spikes!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I agree it would have looked *very* odd had it said "fastest growers". Not at all natural.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nice thick foliage Cypress - Thuja Plicata. A bit slower growing than Leylandii but really looks nice trimmed, and only have to do it once per year. Added bonus of loverly Cypress smell.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Planting leylandii in the same position might be asking for trouble since whatever killed the originals may still be lurking there. Soil fungi pathogens specific to that species is a possibility and the soil will be drained of all the nutrients that leylandii prefer. I can't imagine what it takes to kill a laylandii. I can't see ivy managing to do it. Strangler fig might.

Beech isn't a bad relatively fast growing hedge. Cotoneasters have nice berries. Lonicera nitida is a fast grower and clips well. Yew is fairly slow (toxic) and holly is slower still. Chunks of about 3m all the same can look good if you have a long run of hedging and want have something less monotonous than a monoculture of one planting.

Holly will eventually get there I allow a few to grow in my hedge along with wild rose, ivy and honeysuckly. I reckon they take about 15 years from seed to get to full hedge height and another 5 to thicken out.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Sorry - not Cypress - its Ceder!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Willow doesnt hedge.

If you want deciduous, beech (or hornbeam on wet heavy clay) is fast and attractive.

Hawthorn and blackthorn are traditional

Its amazing what camn be made into a hedge. Euonymous, maple,cotoneasters of soem forms, pyracanthas...Viburn tinus is a fast grower and nice to look at. Berberis. Even Osmanthus.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fast growing = leylandii. If you're not using those, pick some nice edibles & you get lots & lots of free yummy food as well.

If you're putting a fence in too, climbers are one other option.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1, but it's not fast growing.
Reply to
nothanks

and it will self seed all around your garden.

I think Leylandii would be the fastest growing but make sure the originals didn't die of that disease that attacks leylandii

Reply to
billyorange007

Half this group will be dead before laylandii grow ;o)

Reply to
Pancho

I'm hoping they will come out if I put a chain on them and tug them with the tractor. Trouble is they are near a retaining wall so the wall might be damaged.

Are you going to get pros in who

No I'll just put them on the bonfire heap.

I'm wondering if I sould dig a big hole and put some compost and that in.

Oh, I'll have a look.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Last time I went to the garden centre (this year) Leylandii 'shrubs' were on sale for £75 each !.

Reply to
Andrew

The Brexit half or the Remainer half ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

even that Kubota is going to struggle removing the stump of a

45-yo leylandii.

Tip for Bill. Leave about 6 foot sticking out above ground, so you have something to apply leverage after you have dug around the base and chopped the roots with an axe.

Or hire a bloke with a stump grinder.

Reply to
Andrew