He's got some balls that bloke

Yes, this is the same psychology at work in climbing.

Leading a route with several meters of runout and a serious chance of decking it if any of your gear unzips is a *totally* different prospect to doing the same route solidly protected from a tree-based belay from above.

The moves are the same, the climb is no more difficult.

But the consequence of screwing it up are substantially significantly more serious. And it has a profound effect on what you will attempt.

-- Ron, a 'Dope on a Rope' from time to time...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Bit like Dan Osman (before he cocked up a rope jump and went spat), incredible to watch:

John Rumm

I think that got cocked up .. I meant from the aerial mast?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
mick

Reply to
Si

In message , tony sayer writes

Not in this universe

Reply to
geoff

Would you accept your rate of fall depends on, among other things, your weight?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's called copy 'n paste and count the >'s. My comment applies to the "Bloody amazing!.. where did that happen then?.." one needs to read the double quoted sections properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, you still need to read what is written.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you are being retarded by stitching coming adrift, then it's true.

Reply to
<me9

In message , Clive George writes

mass ...

Reply to
geoff

Weight, actually...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I've a couple of those stitched lanyard fall arresters and they're labelled for different weights with sufficient precision that skinny women need to be attached to the odd one, not the usual pair for hairy-arsed lardbucket chippies like me.

And of course your rate of fall depeds on your weight. The whole point of these things is that you're no longer falling freely, so Galilleo's equally falling balls aren't applicable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , geoff scribeth thus

Lets put that another way the rate of it being ripped would depend on the weight and speed of the body it was restraining..

i.e. my 18 odd stone is likely to rip it differently to someone who's say 7 stone..

That do;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

It is stitching coming apart !...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

Yes I have .. its obvious that it was off some mast or possibly building?..

Just curious as to where...

Reply to
tony sayer

I wonder if a car tyre sole would make great grip. People sometimes resole shoes with a piece of car tyre.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

SC original, early 1950s.

Reply to
<me9

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net scribeth thus

Right...odd that Ray Cooper didn't mention it!..

Reply to
tony sayer

No. Car tyres are designed for a ton of car at 70mph. That needs a harder rubber, which compromises the grip they deliver. They're not good at grip, in comparison to shoes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley