Ladders

I want to buy some ladders for getting on to my roof.It would be a great help if someone could help me with what size i need.The distance from ground to gutter is 5m.....Thanks for any replies

Reply to
keith

A 20 foot ladder would do.

Reply to
Alan Holmes

As another question, "how safe is it to walk on the roof itself?" When we had the TV aerial fixed a couple of years ago the guy used the ladder to get onto the roof at gutter height and then walked up the tiles to the chimney. I'd be concerned about 2 things, damage to the roof, but more significantly, the risk of shoes losing grip and me ending as a jammy heap in the garden.

How many people here play the mountain goat on the tiles?

Reply to
OG

When I had my chimney repointed, the chap slid every other roof tile up under the one above it, and then used the exposed battons to walk all round the chimney.

The other risk is that of losing your balance. This is easy to do when the surface you are walking on is a long way from horizontal, and you are more devoid of visible horizontal and vertical reference points than you are used to when walking on the ground, so two of the sensory inputs subconciously involved with balance are feeding the brain misleading information.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Erm, that depends on the pitch of the roof, the type of tile, how good the tile battens are, how heavy you are, and the shoes you are wearing!

Hmm same here many years ago. Aerial installer simply walked up the ridge of the hipped roof, then along the top ridge to the chimney.

When I walked on the roof recently (mid loft conversion) all that happened is about one in ten tiles broke! Probably not a problem if you are built like a whippet though.

Hence if I need to venture onto the slope I lay a ladder along it with a ridge hook on the top. A duck board would work also (long wide plank with foot rails fixed to the surface every so often).

Reply to
John Rumm

It depends upon the angle of the roof, the type of tile, and the weather.

Steep wet slate is not climbable, shallow dry concrete textured tiles are.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

You won't find a better set than these.

MrBlueSkye

Wouldn't it be terrible if someone decided to buy something from him, forgot to pay and then left negative feedback? Perhaps that's why he has a shiny new account already?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes, just terrible.

MBS's new identity is winegumwizard; only it's not 'new'; he's aparently had it for several years. If we check the feedback rating for winegumwizard: ...

Oh look, he's had three positive feedbacks from someone called 'darkliner0', that's nice.

But wait a minute, don't I recognise that username? That's funny, it's MBS's old ebay identity. That must mean - no, surely not? - that MBS has been a naughty boy and been doing some shill bidding, which of course is enough for ebay to pull his account(s) immediately. (Especially if plenty of people were to complain about it.) That really

*would* be terrible.

Looking at winegumwizard's 'sold' list

or ) shows that at least one other ebayer has placed bids (almost always unsuccessfully) on an inordinate number of MBS other, totally unrelated items as well, but I'm sure that must just be coincidence.?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hopefully it will only take one person. Have you?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

TBH, no - I figured I've expended enough time on this today already!

Of course the other issue is his persistent spamming of the newsgroup with ebay sales; I'm pretty sure that in itself is enough for ebay to pull an account. That might take more than 1 complaint, I'd guess.

Bummer to get your ebay account canned when you've got 100+ feedback, eh?

(Do you suppose our friend posted his ladder spam using a different ebay id thinking nobody here would know it was him back again? But then forgot to change his somewhat memorable usenet posting id...?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

So did anybody complain: I note he was back here yesterday with another of his ebay offerings?

I did do so myself eventually, but sadly (and incredulously) with a zero result, about which I have just posted in an ebay newsgroup (see

be interested to know what response any other complainers have got?!

Reply to
Lobster

The best responce is to create an ebay ID of uk.diy, and bid his items up to a million bucks, then of cource all excitedly he finds that the ID is fake.

Rick

Reply to
Rick