HD foam for laptop case?

I know what you mean. I had a really nice hard case lined up for my notebook, but it was slightly too small. :(

Since you want some mechanical protection, how about a "mobile disco" type shop? The one near us makes (or at least did), custom flight cases out of ply and aluminium. Unlikely to be cheap, or light, although 12mm of ply will undoubtedly offer some mechanical protection :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Try a web search for Evazote. That is what I used to buy to fill instrument cases.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , T i m writes

There's an American company trying to sell them to the French atm, not so tough, but worth looking at ...

geoff

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that .. I've found a couple of suppliers I'm asking for prices now ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yellow Pages. The stuff is cheap and easy to find, but the downside is the minimum order volume. It's generally supplied as 2" thick 8x4 sheets and a supplier can slice these to any thickness you want, but you have to buy the whole sheet.

I make lots of padded bags. For small volumes, I use laminate floor foam underlay for thin or flexible padding and camping sleeping mats for thicker stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Those were the days Andy ... Do you still have a copy .. might be worth something on eBay (you can probably find eBay on

) ;-)

The stuff is cheap and easy to find, but the downside is

Ok, thanks for that ..

Ahh .. now there's a though! (note to self: ring Army & Navy in the morning ..)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've *never* had to do this -- even on planes w/ less than 20 seats -- and I've been travelling w/ a laptop on an exceedingly frequent basis for as long as there have have been laptops (first model - Toshiba T1000, no hard drive!). As long as the bag conforms to airline size restrictions, it will always be able to go under the seat in front of you. I know that part of a journey is to be on a very small plane, I'll sometimes split my carryon items between two bags, the backpack w/ the laptop and not much else, and aq second bag which I'll gate check.

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

There are aircraft on scheduled flights where the regulation bag size won't go under the seat in front..... I was on one last week - can't remember what it was - but the seat space was so small that I almost had my knees next to my ears.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > Why the need for something other than a regular laptop case? | Crime. A laptop case might as well say "This will pay for 20 | fixes of heroin" on it in a flashing LED sign.

20 fixes for one laptop? that's a very good deal ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Like with Christian, I'll bow to your better knowledge!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's nothing - Microsoft can release more than 20 fixes for the laptop in a morning...

Reply to
Neil Jones

They need to.... .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:56:16 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Neil Jones" strung together this:

Unfortunately none of them work as well as the heroin fix!

Reply to
Lurch

This is a d-i-y group. You should have found a really strong case and built yourself a new computer inside that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

True ... well I repaired the 'damaged' one myself and I was considering converting an existing hard briefcase to fit new laptop? Still sounds pretty d-i-y to me ;-)

Tell you what Colin, I'll built the case if you tell me the size of the laptop *you* are going to build for me! ;-)

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

My current home-build computer project stands 2m tall and weighs in at over a quarter of a tonne - 80kgs of that in the 6kVA battery backup system alone. If I tried building a laptop, it would probably give the owner a hernia trying to lift it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Like the sign in the back of a builders van.

"No power tools onboard, they were stolen last week"

;-(

Reply to
T i m

Oh-my-gawd! Thet do d-i-y Cray kits now do they? ;-)

If I tried building a laptop, it would probably give the owner a

Ok then Colin .. I'll pass thanks ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I did buy a PDP 11 once ... fun getting that lot (CPU rack, lineprinter, 2 x Decwriters, 2 disk drives + 20 disk packs and 10 VT100's .. ) home ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Yekal

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:46:36 +0100, in uk.d-i-y T i m strung together this:

The sign that gets me is

No power tools on this vehicle at any time

when quite clearly there are, because people are carrying them in and out, or because there is everything else in the van that goes with power tools like transformers, extension leads etc... I don't write anything on the van, if someone wants to get something out of it then they will, whether you tell them not to or not!

Reply to
Lurch