Has your electricals been recalled?

Yes this has always been an issue. I suspect that now with data protection nothing is going to get done. I'd have thought that in the grand scheme of things somebody, somewhere has details of what you bought, and if it was just a case of every retailer sharing this with the makers apart from second hand sales and some other omissions, it should be possible to track them all down. I was talking to a friend of mine who nearly had a fire due to a tumble dryers internal insulation shedding and catching fire. What had occurred was that she had a new kitchen fitted and it was put in as part of the job. The fact is that the supplier had obviously been recorded as the owner but had not bothered to either keep records of who had which model or simply had no idea.

As always, sadly its only when something happens that you find this stuff out.

Back in my days with a TV maker, we also rented other makes as well as our own, It was kept quiet, but one maker Bush of the very early colour tvs could have a fault which meant that high power Xrays were generated by one valve and fired through the bottom of the cabinet. As the TV had legs, I bet a lot of pets who laid under the cats got a fairly big dose. What the company in fact did was put out a little lead screen that should be soldered in place below the valve, but it was only fitted when there was a service call. Of course the fault condition meant that in theory that it could not actually work, but it did not actually blow a fuse and on more than one occasion people had been using it in sound only to listen to soaps while in the kitchen or whatever. One should never assume the general public will not use something with a fault. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Back when stuff had plug in pcbs, there was a scare that one particular make of tv had a pcb in some which had had one pcb made from sub standard materials that could catch fire. It was relatively easy to change back in the old tv rental days, although I'm sure many rental companies found it cost them money. I often wondered about the ones which were purchased. After this all the pcbs had a little knock out section that one could try to set light to to decide if it was one of the dodgy ones or not. They otherwise looked the same, it was something to do with the material used to bond the fibreglass material the pcb had been made from Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Lack of communication with the staff. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do or did used to find that old stock was often reduced to clear in shops like Tandy. they used to call it a where is, as is sale. I'm sure a loot of the stuff was basically illegal to sell. I bought a nice PSU which I used for years, but I'm not so daft as to just plug it in and use it. I drilled the rivets on the case lid and looked inside to be greeted with the most flimsy botched up fuse holder and fuse known to man, and bits of the innards glued to the case. Whether this was how it was supposed to be is anyone's guess, but at the time it was really only the 10 minute job to put things right, and as I say the basic design was good, My suspicion is that it had been fiddled with and the returnee had riveted it shut to hide his guilt. Nobody obviously checked it, but since I knew what I was doing I guess I got a bargain. Of course cannot do stuff like that now. Generally Tandy stuff used to be built like the proverbial brick shit house. I had one of their cassette decks for many many years with no issues. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff