Has Sainsbury's lost it?

Put a reduced item in my Tesco shopping and when I got to the till it threw an error and alerted the staff for help.

It had been reduced to more than it was on another shelf from where I had picked it from and it wouldn't let it go until it had been reduced more.

Reply to
dennis

Whatever is reduced, it's a bit of a sharp practice when it comes to bread and dough products which are only good on the day that they are baked.

When it comes to pre-packed sarnies, (no longer allowed on my diet :-) ), we don't want a sell by date but a date on which the bread was baked.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

My dad used petrol (not ultrasonically).

Reply to
Max Demian

The horsham branch has a Santas Grotto with a sign above it stating 'Trade Only Counter'.

a) Doesn't the Barnsley branch have one ? b) before B&Q bought screwfix, weren't all the prices 'trade' ?

Reply to
Andrew

It doesn't take much to bring Guildford traffic to a halt. even the 'new' Waitrose causes problems.

Reply to
Andrew

They work on wafer thin margins.

Self checkouts would wipe out their profits, as well as confusing the hell out of the computer stock control system when it thinks that loads of carrots are being sold.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew brought next idea :

I was in a Poundland type place the other day, they had self checkouts, so they must pay for themselves in staff time saved.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

a) I was at the smaller of the Barnsley Screwfix sites. So no. b) No idea.

Reply to
ARW

But how much profit does an item in Poundland generate, compared to losing a few bottles of expensive booze or olive oil in a supermarket ?.

Reply to
Andrew

They seem to have lost the basic idea: it's a trade counter, you should order in advance online, or at the least, know exactly what you want before you go in. The trade counter concept means they can be located on an industrial estate rather than a 'retail park' thus saving the cost of a vast carpark to accommodate all the time-wasters.

Similar to Lidl seemingly giving up trying to get people to do their packing on the shelf beyong the checkout.

Reply to
DJC

Why pizza?

When doing a piece of pork I always get the oven up to gash mark 8 before slotting it into the oven.

Reply to
ARW

I like the fresh orange juice, whichever supermarket you find it, it comes in the same shape 1lt bottle, and if the quality varies that is more to do with which oranges are in season than any difference between supermarket. But Waitrose price, around 2.55, Sainsbury a bit cheaper, Morrisons cheaper still at £2.00, but Lidl are only 1.65. I got to Lidl for the Orange Juice, and the brioche burger buns, and the 'deluxe' yogurts. Morrisons are best for meat and the bakery. Sainsburys are the only place that seems to stock Tiptree Brown Sauce. I have rather given up on Waitrose its major virtue is that it is the only one that seems to employ fairly normal people.

Reply to
DJC

4p

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dipping a movement in petrol was the act of desperation.

It seemed to work but leaving a greasy contaminent on the teeth of the wheels accelerated the wear of the pinions, creating more problems for the clock repairer down the line, or so I've been told.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

they do a good vibrator and french letters ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

They have self checkouts in sainsburys, tesco, asda, morrisons, aldi, lidl, b&q, m&s and others around here.

Reply to
dennis

For maximum thickness, I recommend Amy's soup (Waitrose sells it) but it's expensive. My favourites are lentil, and cream of mushroom.

Reply to
Dave W

Waitrose is the only shop that sells unhomegenised milk.

Reply to
Dave W

Not here. Most states have the alcohol and cigarette sales done separately to the normal supermarket checkouts of any type.

They are actually there to stop thieves not bothering to scan everything.

Reply to
Swer

And yet

Swer