hanging pictures on brick wall

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I recently moved to a 1930's house. I am trying to hang some pictures on the walls and got a picture hanging kit from a diy store. On trying to bang the hook nails into the wall they get so far then buckle. My guess is that I am going through plaster and then hitting brick which is too hard to accept the nail.

How best to hang pictures on this kind of wall? Use special masonry nails to penetrate the brick, or drill and screw with rawl plugs? Or some other method?

Thanks in advance for advice

Reply to
abracad_1999

The *best* way is to have a picture rail drilled and plugged into the wall, then hang pictures on wires from that. A lot less effort, and doesn't leave holes in the wall when you rearrange things.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , abracad snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Yopu can get 'Hard wall hooks'

Little circular plastic things with a hook, with 3 short thin pins. I've used these successfully on hard walls.

Some on this page:

Otherwise I'd go the drill and plug route

Reply to
chris French

Lightweight pictures should be OK with short nails/pins that are just held in firm plaster. Ordinary one inch (25mm nails) can be knocked in about 75% of the way. You will need to drill and plug into the bricks for heavyweight pictures, or if the plaster is weak.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist