SDS drill for removing cemented wall tiles

What's the best sub-50 quid SDS around at the moment, for a job removing old 1930s cemented-on wall tiles ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You can buy lots and lots at GBP80+!!! (I expect that's what a lot of answers will be)... however, any nice heavy one with a barrel-shaped motor and rotation lock will be a good bet, see:

$cip%3D36581.DIY,+garden+and+car%3EC$cip%3D36666.DIY+power+tools%3EC$Brand%3DChallenge.Challenge.htm(http://tinyurl.com/onov8)for the likely general shape. Check the "impact energy" - 4J+ is OK!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Wickes is worth a look.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it is a one off job, then anything with a trigger speed control... (save smashing everything to bits when they come off easier than you think!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I've just replaced mine - B&Q's Performance 620watt Hammer Drill (NLE620RHD) , It was on a clearance sale =A39.98 would you believe! My previuuse one took the render off the back of the garage, tiles and render from the kitchen and bathroom and lots lots more. I bought a set of drills from Argos in a wooden box for a little over =A312 and have bought 2 different wide chisels. Hurry and see if there are any left. There is an 850w one that looks the same in the Screwfix catalogue at =A329.99. Cheers. Martin

Reply to
sourpuss

$cip%3D36581.DIY,+garden+and+car%3EC$cip%3D36666.DIY+power+tools%3EC$Brand%3DChallenge.Challenge.htmBought one a couple of years ago - so far have used it to take off all the tiles in fully tiled kitchen and bathroom, break up several square metres of concrete path and put various holes through 9" solid wall - all using the bits that come with it.

you'll need some ear defenders though...

Charlie

Reply to
charlieB

I've just replaced mine - B&Q's Performance 620watt Hammer Drill (NLE620RHD) ,

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I couldnt see any SDS drills in B&Q yesterday. Are they not labeled as such ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Not always... "Rotary Hammer" is quite often used though.

Reply to
John Rumm

As opposed to just "Hammer". One of the main distinguishing features most people want from an SDS is a hammer that does not rotate ! Are they trying to confuse us ?

Also, I take it not all "SDS" drills use a pneumatic mechanism ? I guess that explains why the cheap ones are so noisy and have good vibrations. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The message from "sm_jamieson" contains these words:

They don't put them with the other drills, IME. They tend to have them on "display". At least there isn't a sign "Beware of the Leopard".

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "sm_jamieson" contains these words:

We did this last week. Though such things exist they're rare.

Reply to
Guy King

Not all SDS drills can do that either. Words like "Roto Stop" or "Three Function" are the ones to look out for in addition to the more obvious mention of chisel capabilities.

So it seems...

Some are just mechanical - but most I have seen do have a pneumatic element to their operation. Having said, this does not always work in the way many expect, since there is no compressor as such. The translation to oscilating action is done with a "swash" washer that moves a serise of connecting rods. These drive a cylinder back and forth, and there is a free sliding hammer mechanism that is coupled to the cylinder pneumatically.

Nice cutaway here:

guess that explains why the cheap ones are so noisy and have good > vibrations.

Can be a bunch of things... many cheaper ones lack speed control which does not help the noise level since you get all or nothing, and all can be rather brutal in many cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in news:UI3hg.81587$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Before I believe that, have a read of this:

"How to hang pictures

Can you please advise on how to hang pictures? Most attempts result in lumps of plaster falling off the wall, bent nails or pins and general frustration. My house has brick walls.

Ronan Todd, DIY expert at Wickes, says: 'If brick walls resist even masonry nails, drill holes with a small masonry drill bit, normally a number six. Then insert a tight-fitting rawl plug into the hole to finish just below the plaster surface. Nails or screws can then be driven into the plugs quite easily. Hang heavy pictures using picture wire rather than string or nylon cord. When trying to hammer masonry nails or hardened picture pins into a wall, it is crucial to drive them in perfectly straight with firm blows.' Try the 550W SDS Pneumatic Hammer Drill, £59.99, from Wickes (0800

106068, wickes.co.uk)."

I'd love to see Ronan Todd bashing in a hardened picture pin with an SDS drill...

Reply to
Rod

You can get hammer adaptors for SDS drills, so chances are it would work ok! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:448604cc$0$98962$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

That I did not know. But still sounds like a joke - trying to hold a pin in one hand and an operating SDS drill in the other...

Reply to
Rod

Probably not ideal for a panel pin, but might work ok on a 4" wire nail, and absolutely ideal for driving a 4' earth spike into the ground!

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

A few months ago, while trying to get tent pegs into granite I invented SDS pegs. With a 12V SDS hammer they'd be cracking.

Reply to
Guy King

Are they better than Hilti pegs?

Reply to
dennis

Brilliant - I want some!

Or the granite would.

A reasonable alternative is to use an SDS-to-0.5in socket drive adapter, with the right size of socket to steady the head of the peg or ground rod. (Just don't get over-enthusiastic with a mild steel peg, or you may find that the socket has become riveted onto the end of it :-)

Reply to
Ian White