Picture hanging hooks

At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.
Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.
Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.
I presume that these:
hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.
I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.
Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.
TIA
Richard
Reply to
Richard
If they're not appreciably heavy you can get self adhesive hooks. For aesthetics you'd probably want to hang the pictures so they are hidden though.
Reply to
Lino expert
Quite the reverse - they are designed for very hard walls. I think the B&Q site means 'not suitable forplasterboard walls' or 'not suitable for plaster skimmed walls' - in the latter case the pins might be too short to reach solid brick.
My house in cement rendered and OBO masonry nails bend! Those picture hooks are what we use.
SDS drill, wall plugs & screws, or for very light pictures No More Nails.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman
3M have a new range of adhesive hooks etc, that are also removable, think B&Q do them
HTH
Reply to
Tim
Thanks Tim and Lino Expert - I've glanced from afar at those things. I've always assumed that they promised to just about everything bar turn lead into gold, if you see what I mean. I'll try some.
And thanks Dave, I'll also try the multi pin thingies.
Cheers
Richard
Reply to
Richard
I use those on ('50s hard) plaster all the time and find them very good. You can also remove them with little damage just with a few gentle taps on the side with a small hammer.
The quick answer is invest in a bag of them and try. (Screwfix do a couple of different sizes)
Reply to
John Rumm
Please see (my) line second from bottom. I assumed that as no one had corrected me that this was the posh ;-) term for a picture rail. Sorry and all that, but the style of the house won't take them and I have to hang the blasted pictures in most rooms and all of the corridors :-(
Richard
Reply to
Richard
In message , Richard writes
A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.
Reply to
Si
Yes, they're to protect the walls from being damaged by upright chair backs.
Mary
Reply to
Mary Fisher
Make mirror plates.
We inherited a lot of very heavy oil paintings and Spouse made plates to hold them. They can be painted over (or papered if that's still used) and won't show.
Mary
Reply to
Mary Fisher
In article , SimonW@ag&r$vo.f$3o&m says...
Originally intended to protect plaster walls from chair-backs.
Reply to
Skipweasel
In message , Mary Fisher writes
They were originally to hide the unsightly damage done to walls by rising damp.
Reply to
Si

Site Timeline Threads