GU10's Blowing....

You didn't, but the link you posted did: "GU10 48 SMD LED HIGH POWER COOL WHITE 3W =3DTO 50W" which is why I asked if they really did compare to 50W, because I have a room with 10 x 50W GU10s that I would love to replace with LEDs, but only if I can get the equivalent illumination. Maybe another year and we might be there, I'm certainly not going to waste any more money on GU10 CFLs in the meantime.

Reply to
pcb1962

I have 3 rooms entirely lit with 48SMD GU10/GU5.3 LED lamps. In my experience GU10 CFL's are dreadful.

I must emphasise SMD LED. *NOT* any other kind of component package.

A very important differentiator is the omnidirectionality of these LED lamps which give an (over 120 degree) cone of even light. Halogen reflectors (whatever the wattage) are typically much more directional with the pool of light very bright in the middle, rapidly fading to "not a lot" 60 degrees off axis. The structure of the illumination is quite different....and also the direct comparison of equivalent illumination is not really valid. You have to try one.

The cost of these things is still pretty high. ...but even with today prices a no brainer in a 24/7 application or indeed any application with a 6+ hours of daily usage.

IMHO "Day" White LED whilst brighter is unpleasant in living space. Makes the room feel like being in a dentists chair, and to be avoided.

Reply to
Vortex5

You can buy LED upgrades for maglites that claim 50lm/watt.

The 3W maglite I have is very bright BTW, I would guess at about 80-100lm.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Vortex4 writes

Like I said, I did try it. With real LED lamps.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

ARE YOU IN UK??? YOU NEED TO CONSIDER LEDs linked into a local transformer

url:

peter richards