Grub screw question

I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3, M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes will fit? It is a fairly new door handle so I assume it is metric. Is M2 so small as to be excludable? I assume it's 'cup point'. Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

My newish handles take what would appear to be M6 grub screws (actually they measure as 5.9mm OD but I assume that's intended to be 6mm rather than 15/64") with a 3mm allen key

Mine are cone point, the square bar through the latch is split at both ends, with a V-groove which the grub screw tightens into and spreads the split end, forcing it against the edges of the hole in the handle.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can't you measure the existing one, or at least guess its size.

The M sizes are simply outside diameter in mm.

Reply to
Chris Green

ERm are these for the square spindle things with the tapped holes in them, if so its the square bit that needs to be newish. Mine are imperial here.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I changed the door handles here, that required changing the square bar from imperial to metric, the new handles expected to be able to have bolts running through the door where the metal body of the latch was in the way, so I had to refit the latches and then the strike plates ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

My square bar has no groove. I think that's why the other type of grub screw is used.

Reply to
Scott

That was the missing link! I have measured and it will be M5 or M6 so I will just order up the pack of 40 assorted. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Scott

oh you can get them

when I needed one I couldn't find one anywhere

I had to take this item back for a refund claiming it wasn't supplied (and this wasn't one required for perfection, the item fell off the wall without it)

I didn't actually know if I had lost it or if it really wasn't supplied, but the 20 mile round trip to take it back was more than the costs of buying one (if I could find one) so I was prepared to suffer the costs...

and then a couple of years later I found a random grub screw on the floor in the corner of the room - did I feel guilty!

(I'm a bloke you can take it as read that I am useless at vacuuming)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Thanks to all who commented. An entirely satisfactory outcome ensued here. I ordered the 40 pack for £2.50 (including postage) and the first one I tried fitted!

I can even repair the handle on the gents at the office. I feel tempted to invoice the management £35 !!!

Reply to
Scott