Re: imperial grub screw

Hi all,

> > I am trying to find a grub screw for an antique door handle. > > It seems to be between 3mm and 4mm in diameter. so i am guessing it is > an imperial size. (1/8inch perhaps) > > does anyone know where i could get a grub screw to fit this? if a grub > screw is too specific, i could probably adapt a bolt that was the > right size. > > cheers, > > david.

You may still find imperial grub screws at the more 'old-fashioned' ironmongers (ie: not B&Q) or more established machine equipment suppliers (ie: not Machine Mart). I have a few in stock in my workshop, and I bet if you know anyone in the toolmaking trade they'll be able to help you. But it will probably be easier to cut a bit off a set screw or bolt, and saw a slot with a junior or standard hacksaw. Beware that it will be 'softer' than the proper thing though. BAH

Reply to
BAH

In article , David_Turner writes

I could be mistaken, but I'd have expected 1/8" x 40 (1/8 BSW) would be too fine for that purpose. Could it be 4BA, perhaps?

Take the door knob to your nearest engineering suppliers and get them to try different screws until they find one that fits. Then buy at least two per handle and a small quantity of matching nuts -- you'll need the nuts to restore the screw thread when you cut the machine screw(s) to size...

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie