Grrr. Microsoft edge installs new version withut asking

Windows 10 is installed and maintained inside tablets, with only 32GB of soldered-down flash storage.

It can work with a fairly small drive.

You might need more space for your movie collection.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I see LaptopsDirect call this a "a cracking all-round laptop at an amazing price".

Do you run a virus checker?

The only other suggestion is to use benchmark applications to determine if there's a bottleneck somewhere.

Dell's have their SupportAssist that might be worth looking at.

I was going to ask if you had updated the BIOS, but I see the most up to date version is October 2014.

Regarding memory this link suggests it can take 8GB

Which is a SATA III drive. I believe your Dell is only making use of basic SATA, ie 1.5GB/s (150MB/s)

Reply to
Fredxx

Well it's £40, and you can take it to the new machine :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

For certain values of work... yes they can ship it working on a 32GB device, but it usually barfs when it runs out of space on the first big windows update.

I would say 120GB is a realistic minimum to have space for OS, some applications and data. 256GB is fairly decent for a good "office spec" machine.

Reply to
John Rumm

When you are down to that level of CPU performance, the bottleneck is not I/O speed.

IME a low end i3 or better will see a big jump in performance. A Core2Duo will see a resonable improvement but not as dramatic.

Reply to
John Rumm

Get rid of the Edge and use Firefox. There is a series of Commandlines listed in the internet only you need to search . I did it and no more unauthorised intrusions from MS

Reply to
Gopalan Sampath

I have given up on 'new' PCs. 99% of what I do can be done on a 6 year old entry level machine.

I do add a fast video card for real time games and an SSD for boot and program load speed, and usually you can get S.H RAM to push that to the limit, but that's it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt it sometime last year, well after windows 7 said it was no longer supported, Microsoft Edge for windows 7 installed itself. No problem with the browser as it has some nice features, but like you, if you are in fact in a hurry to do stuff, unilaterally deciding its a security patch and shoving it on seems just a little short sighted. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My preference is Chrome so I do not see updating Edge is a benefit. Surely there should be a choice?

Reply to
Scott

I thought I was safe when I installed Never 10 on the windows 7 machine, but like you say that only applied to the operating system not other stuff. They are not the only ones either. Ccleaner updates when it wants, as does Itunes for the Iphone on the pc. The version of the latter I had I had sussed out but the new one had changed stuff so one had to delve into this illogical piece of bloatware to just figure out how to change back up parameters back to what you had before. Apple should make a series of stand lone routines which you launch individually to do the various tasks, not a bloated pudding of interrelated confusion that was obviously built by a maze designer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't know about cracking, but it was cheap! I paid Dell around £150, brand new.

It's been very slow since I got it, and I just assumed that everything that could be skimped in the construction had been.

Windows Defender. I had Sophos, but thought WD might be better now.

Tried that! :)

Yes, updated the BIOS.

"It is paired with a standard 4GB DDR3 RAM which is further expandable up to 8GB via two DIMM ports"

I think it only has one slot, but that may support 8GB, unofficially.

As I said, they skimped.

Reply to
GB

That's the conclusion that I came to. I was just warning Steve not to expect too much from installing an SSD in his old Celeron machine.

My C2D desktop was much faster than this laptop.

Reply to
GB

Or Pale Moon, a less resource hungry fork of FireFox -

wasbit

Firefox is not universally accepted. Banks can be a bit picky and John Lewis broadband will not display monthly bills.

Nevertheless my preferred browser.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Try Slimjet, very fast and similar to Chrome, but none of the telemetry.

Pent

See my sig below.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is that your only laptop?

I have a Windows 10 tablet which exists only to run the car diagnostics software. It was £40 new and has never been on any network - therefore it's free of any update hassles (its 32GB eMMC wouldn't cope anyway). It's slow, but then the software is designed to run on XP so isn't so bad. (the main slow bit is the OBD comms)

You might think of turning your Celeron machine into an appliance just for that. And then getting another laptop for other uses - you can buy quite respectable used ex-business laptops for £100-200 (for example Thinkpad X240/X250/X260).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

sadly if you want to push the limits, you need to specify the browser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The motherboard chipset also come into play. If you have an old platform that only supports the original spec of SATA spec, then a modern hard drive will be able to saturate the interface with a sustained transfer, let alone with a burst transfer. So You would see little extra performance from a SSD other than that attributable to the reduced latency.

SATA1 systems are fairly rare though, with SATA2 being far more common. That will cope with most hard drives sustained maximum transfer rate with some headroom to spare, and a fair amount of their burst capability. So a SSD used here can get some more noticeable improvement by keeping the interface running at full chat more of the time.

SATA3 systems will out pace most hard drives with plenty of spare capacity, so they will gain most from replacement SSDs. (a modern SSD will outperform even SATA3 - hence the move to NVMe for high performance drives)

Laptops often have architectural limitations that don't affect desktops.

Reply to
John Rumm

The modern version of edge is built on the Chromium code base - so beyond the customisation and integration with MS services rather than google's, they are functionally close to equivalent.

(IIRC the integration of desktop HTML rendering that used to be done using components of IE, are now done with components of MS Word rather than Edge now)

Reply to
John Rumm