Gritting drives and lanes

On 24/12/09 10:49, T i m wrote:

Rain yesterday and freezing overnight made things much slippier than with just the snow. Luckily I popped into Wickes yesterday, and they still had some 25kg sacks of rocksalt, my drive and next door neighbour's now ice free :-)
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:21:46 -0000, whiskeyomega wrote:

Calcium Chloride also work but that's probably harder to get hold of than sodium chloride.
Don't you have salt in some form in the kitchen? We don't use salt on food and only add half a dozen grains to cooking occasionally (oh and the bread of course) but we have salt available both sea salt in the grinder and cheapo cooking salt.
You don't need much a sprinkling with three or four grains per square centimetre will do. All salt takes time to start to work and needs to be mixed with the slush to be really effective. Thats why gritting roads that don't have much traffic isn't much good, the traffic is needed to mix the salt into the ice/slush.
Max today of of 1.9C min -4.1C currently -0.4C, very fine snow has been about all day but no real fall. The vast majority of the 37cm (14 1/2") of snow that has fallen is still here, the drifts are up to 4 or 5 feet.
--
Cheers
Dave.

whiskeyomega wrote:

whiskeyomega,
Try contacting your council and ask them to supply a road salt bin or two at strategic positions in the lane - and that will sort the problem.
It would even better if you elicited the support of your local councillor and any neighbours in the area to add a bit of weight to your request - and once the bins are in place, the council will keep them filled as necessary.
Unbeliever