Grinding wheel data required for 7" bench grinder

I recently purchased a second hand bench grinder with stand. It's obviously an old machine but it runs sweetly with no discernible vibrations. I am going to use the machine in my yet to be converted garage to a workshop and is for my own personal use to sharpen lathe tools etc. In the interests of safety I've removed one of the wheels which appears to be in a good condition and it rings when struck so hopefully no cracks. I need to identify the grit size, recommended speed and whether it's within it's sell by date so to speak. Identifying marks are as follows:

At the top--ABRAFRACT -Maker probably

LHSide-- MOS 3710

RHSide-- 111 51401095

Bottom-- A46NV 180x 20x31.75 -Size presumably, the 31.75 referring to the hole in the middle which has a plastic insert to bring the size down to half inch which is the shaft size.

Does anyone know what the numbers mean, and any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks Don

Reply to
Donwill

Not myself, but these guys might:

Abrafract Ltd. Trafford Park Road Manchester Lancashire M17 1HP

Tel: 0161-872-2381

or there is a web based email contact for them here:

John Rumm

Many thanks John I have emailed them a modified copy of the message sent to this newsgroup, strangely enough your reply appeared before my message did. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Damn, I am fast! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

A46NV - The code mark of the abrasive

A = Regular Aluminium Oxide

46 = Medium Grain Size N = Hard grade V = Vitrified

Have a look here:

5 has the useful info.

Also here:

here:

page pdf) from page 10.

Also here:

x 20 x 31.75 = 180mm diameter, 20mm thick, 31.75mm (1 1/4") arbor hole diameter.

Reply to
Dave Osborne