Grand Designs tonight

There was an Andrew Gabriel who appeared briefly as a lighting consultant. Coincidence?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, I missed that!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Interesting program......

Couldn't help thinking that the couple who had the 'extension' built must be very 'thick-skinned' to be able to continue living there - having p*ssed off all the people living underneath.....

Shame the man wasn't going to admit the amount of the overspend - original budget was £200k - must have spent at least £100k extra, don't you think ??

Amazing views - but not convinced that the nice glass multi-folding doors would keep the rain & wind out for long.....

At least it wasn't a houseboat covered in tin sheeting !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Was that the chap doing that RGB "any colour you please - that's £4000 please" bit in that pointless dome walk-round thing. I wonder.

:¬)

Reply to
gymratz

That's not actually an answer, Andrew. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were taking the p**s by not even attempting to making the building weather proof during the works. You simply can't rely on there being no heavy rain in England for several months - even on the south coast. It's one thing taking the risk where only your own property is involved, but entirely another when it effects others.

With all the additions including 20,000 just to light the dome? At least. ;-)

I would have liked some better views of what it looked like from the outside - but that would have needed a cherry picker for the camera.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - they gave his name on a caption. Of course I may have read it wrongly - I was eating at the time.

I loved the idea of the LED lighting, though. Any colour you want. And the dome was an existing feature - not built by 'them'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was pretty shit though. Couldn't agree more re the architecture. Pokey corridors and an overall chaotic cluttered mess. SWMBO would've been wearing quite alot of that view if it were me.

Reply to
visionset

Too embarrased to say so I suspect he went £200k over budget.

Reply to
Mogga

Repeated tonight on More4.

Reply to
Andrew

The Windows local live photo appears to pre-date the rebuild, maybe they'll update the photos soon ( or I've got the wrong building):-

airsmoothed

Well, it's certainly not "live" so if it's a recent build you probably have got the right building. Some areas at least 2 years out of date, just like Google Earth.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

But weren't the old folk downstairs playing to the camera and Kevin's leading questions? They obviously had some inconvenience but the works (noise etc) weren't going on 24 hours a day.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

"Peter Johnson" wrote

No mention was made to the other residents that, in the process of the re-furb, water tank support beams had been replaced at no cost to them (which beams had reached a dangerous state of corrosion by anyone's standards).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I know the dome was an existing feature, but to have the huge expense of a glass spiral stair case and that steel fabrication walk way from which you couldn't see anything either of the room or outside. Just seemed pointless. It was too small an area to do anything with.

Should have just been left as a dome with the variable colour lights. IMHO.

Pete

gymratz

That's what he deserves for letting a woman run the show!

Reply to
gymratz

They weren't absolutely clear about that. Normally on a block that size there'd be ways of paying for this sort of repair.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well at the risk of spamming the newsgroup, I do sell a little kit that will achieve a good range of RGB colour changing effects at a pretty low price. It does require technical savvy though, since you have to assemble it yourself and then wire up your own custom LED arrays.

I've never seen a cheaper unit do what mine does though. (I haven't seen many expensive ones that do it either!)

It's on my website if there are any LED geeks interested.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

It was an Andrew, but not Gabriel, it was Chapel or Chapman or something ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lighting Suppliers Andrew Chappell Electrical Supplies England Ltd

Owain

Reply to
Owain