Good long-lasting sealant/mastik for lead flashing?

Can anyone recommend some kind of sealant or mastik suitable for sealing cracks and joins in lead flashing?

Thank you,

Drake

Reply to
Drake

Joints should be made in such a way as they don't leak. Cracks usually mean poor workmanship - too long continuous lengths.

Why not simply replace it? Lead flashing is well within the scope of DIY, and if done properly should have an extremely long life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not 100% sure that the overlap in question is the source of the leak, so I don't want to go to too much trouble at this stage. I'd like to try sealing the overlap first rather than go to the trouble of replacing the lead. It is a rather awkward piece of work, with large sheets of lead - part of the perimeter of a flat roof.

Cheers,

Drake

Reply to
Drake

================================== 'Evostik' flashband (or own brand from Wickes etc.) which comes in different widths. This is pretty good as an interim repair and if applied carefully it can last years. But, of course replacement is the best solution with a life expectancy from lead of about 50 years.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If there are cracks in the lead it's likely due to large amounts of expansion and contraction which should have be allowed for in the sheet size. And like any expanding metal it has considerable force so I wish you luck with a sealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sounds worth a try. Thank you!

Drake