glass discs?

OH! One more thing, make sure that you do not use tempered glass! It will shatter into tiny pieces!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Thanks to all for the useful contributions. I could indeed make them myself with a core drill or carborundum, and polycarb or acrylic are the fallback position if all else fails. However, I was very surprised how difficult they are to find commercially. I had assumed that since there are so many torches, kaleidoscopes etc about, a Google search would easily turn up a source of supply but it appears not.

Anyway, as always the group was helpful and I am grateful.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

I assume that you're referring to the question about glass discs - but if I hadn't seen the original thread, I wouldn't have a clue what this post was about!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Any CE marked toy and most torches won't have glass in them, too much of a hazard when it breaks particulary in a toy. You don't seem to have picked that up when it was mentioned earlier.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, it did have a "References" header so your newsreader should have displayed, or allowed you to load, preceding messages

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well my newsreader (the dreaded OE - albeit with Quotefix) just displayed it like a new thread - with no hint (such as a Re: in the title, or quoted text in the body) that it belonged to an existing thread.

Now you have pointed it out, and I have displayed the whole thread, I can see that it does - but it was by no means obvious. Perhaps it would have been safer to have changed the subject just to "Glass Discs - Thanks" or somesuch, and/or to have quoted the original question.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's odd. I too use OE and the message displayed within the original "Glass discs" thread. Perhaps the difference is your addition of Quotefix, whatever that is.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I doubt if it's that. But I *do* have "Hide Read or Ignored Messages" set in the View menu - so it doesn't display previous parts of the thread - only the new messages. If I turn that off, the whole thread is then displayed, and I can indeed see that the Thanks message is part of the original thread.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Same here

I've got Quotefix :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah - at last a justification for using Google Groups. It's all one continuous thread there and hence quite understandable.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I can bring my glass circle trammel device down to Sandown for you to try, if you would like. It might be war time manufacture but should still work. See you on the stand, anyway. Ned Ludd

Reply to
the wizard

In message , Norman Billingham writes

Cut too fast? Can't they bevel the edges slightly for you? Cut your own from greenhouse glass and flame polish the edges?

E-mail the suppliers of the kits and ask if you can buy the windows separately?

Scientific glassware catalogues? You'll probably find something designed for chemistry or microscopy.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

In article , Clint Sharp writes

Standard microscope filters are, AIUI, 32mm in diameter. They come in a wide variety of colours, and ironically "clear" might be hard to find. If 32mm will do, and you can find a suitable colour, they should work for you.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood