Getting round a mortise lock with lost key :(

On 6/1/2017 11:35 PM, Lobster wrote:

At the risk of being shunned for suggesting it, see if you can get a quote from a locksmith. A friend of mine had the same problem last year (except that he knew he had a key inside), I was thinking about forcing his smallest window (upstairs PVC double glazed unit) but in parallel googled for locksmiths. Turns out there is one less than a mile away, he was out and then in the house within an hour, even though it was a Sunday evening. For £80, which I thought was a bargain.
Lobster wrote:

Why does it look as if something is in the keyhole?
On Thu, 01 Jun 2017 22:35:26 GMT, Lobster

You could try simply bumping it, although I guess that requires a modicum of skill even with these http://tinyurl.com/y84e2k5a
There's probably a video on Youtube on how to do it.
--

Chris

On 02/06/2017 19:03, Chris Hogg wrote:

I suspect that those keys won't fit.
On 02/06/2017 19:03, Chris Hogg wrote:

There is, but that's still not going to work on the OP's 5 lever lock.

You'd be surprised ...
When I became old enough to warrant my own front door key, mum gave me a key that my late father had found which fitted the lock, although it was not exactly the same.
Later, my younger brother became eligible for his own key so I had an idea. I bought a couple of key blanks, then took the lock off the door and dismantled it so that we would know for sure exactly which key profile was needed. At this point, all became clear ...
... When I was 5 months old, a German V1 exploded not far away, demolishing an entire block of houses at right angles to the end of our street and causing severe damage to all the other houses in the area. We were temporarily rehoused while the repairs were carried out.
When we returned, my parents found ample evidence that, being in the middle of a row of 15 houses, the builders had found it convenient to use our house as a base & to store all their materials. We even knew which door they'd hung their dartboard on!
To make it easy to come and go, the crafty beggars had removed all the innards of the lock so that the key to any front door in the street could open it!
I cut the blanks down to size and presented one to my brother. A little later we replaced the old mortise lock with a Yale one ...
--

Terry

On 6/3/2017 11:19 AM, Terry Casey wrote:

Brilliant story!
On 01/06/2017 23:35, Lobster wrote:

Dunno about opening the lock, but I do know that about 3 hours after you have opened the lock by destruction the spare key will turn up.
All the best fella:-)
--
Adam

On Friday, 2 June 2017 19:51:54 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Yeah thanks Adam. FWIW, I waited 8 days until I gave up and destroyed the lock; it then took just a further 36 hours for the old key to appear.
On a top shelf in the garage - WTF? Can only have been put there by me but I have zero recollection.

That’s just the Alzheimer's, nothing to worry about.

:-))))
OK so I was 33 hours out. But we both know that even if you had waited 18 months to destroy the lock the spare key would still have only turned up 36 hours after you had destroyed the lock:-)
BTW when you were searching for the spare key did your other half ask you "when was the last time you had/saw the spare key?"
--
Adam

On 01/06/2017 23:35, Lobster wrote:

I'm reminded a friend of mine made a key.
Since you have a second identical lock, make a key with a peg to make contact with just a single lever.
By measuring the angle this key makes when the peg contacts the lever you can work out the lever depth by comparing similar angles with the known lock.
If you do this for each lever you have a fighting chance of cutting down a blank key to the right profile.
On 02/06/2017 19:57, Fredxxx wrote:

That's not going to work or picking lever locks would be really easy. The levers all present the same profile to the key.
--
Max Demian

On 03/06/2017 14:08, Max Demian wrote:

That is not the case for all locks. Have you ever taken one apart?
Holding 5 lever at the same time at the right level doesn't sound a "really easy" thing to do

Thanks for all the advice. On the back of this I'd basically decided, 'right, it's locksmith time', and was quoted ?60 incl VAT, excl the new lock (which I would do myself). But then I thought 'sod it', let's have a crack with the angle grinder first and see what happens...
...so I did, and you know what, it worked like a dream! No damage to the door or frame at all. Locksmith cancelled :)
David
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 6:03:33 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

elf).

It's a bit late now but I have heard horror stories* about angle grinder di scs shattering when trying to cut hardened insert lock bolts.
*probably put about by disgruntled locksmiths...
On 05/06/17 11:34, Halmyre wrote:

It entirely depends on what the disc is
faced with a hardened steel shaft needing to be cut, and utterly failing with a hacksaw, my mates bench grinder made short shrift of it.
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 6:03:33 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

elf).

But the lock is now destroyed. Will the replacement lock be cheaper than t he cost of having the locksmith pick the old one and cut a key for it?
Robert
On 05/06/2017 16:06, RobertL wrote:

Clearly, yes. A new lock is £20-40.
On 05/06/2017 16:09, GB wrote:

And the quoted £60 wouldn't have included a key, or three, whereas the new lock would.