Smartmeters revisited ...

No, not the usual "should I have them fitted?" vs "no they're insecure!" discussion ...
You may remember last year I opened up the in-house display for my smart meters, and using a digital scope found an SPI bus where I could "sniff" data between the main PCB and the RF transceiver daughterboard?
Well, today I finally got round to spending some time on it again, and I now have a working method to passively tap the bus using an ESP8266 based arduino-ish board and capture the raw data :-)
<http://andyburns.uk/smartmeters
I don't think I've written an interrupt service routine for over 30 years ...
The problem with this is that if they catch you doing this, it might well be illegal just like fiddling with a meter. It depends whether doing this also makes it possible to forge data going down the line to the energy company. Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

I've already considered and decided to ignore that!

The display plays no part in taking the actual gas or electricity measurements and sending them to the supplier, all that is done within the actual meters, behind the tamper evident seals, the display can be left unplugged if I want.
My meters are no longer properly smart as I've changed supplier and I would like to log the usage data.
Andy Burns explained on 02/06/2017 :

Sensibly, they could have designed the system to include a port to allow data to be passed to a PC.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I will confess that I lost the will to live trying to keep up to date with the official specification, but when I last looked the ability for a user to download their own data at will was certainly a requirement.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
Chris J Dixon wrote:

When my supplier was eon the meters sent data over GSM to the supplier and I could view/download it on their website, I could control whether the data was sent for every 30 minute period, every day or every month.
Now I've changed supplier to scottish power, I have lost that ability and have to submit manual readings again.
That is clearly very stupid. The companies should have agreed the same protocols before getting meters made surely. Talk about bad management. I lay the blame at the gov and regulartors door really. Brian
--
----- -
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 10:00:49 +0100

That's what Scottish independence does for you!
--
Davey.

Davey wrote:

    The Conservatives are proposing that these meters are optional in their manifesto. Claims £50 a year in energy bills.if not fitted.
It happens that Chris J Dixon formulated :

Only by visiting the suppliers website I think, or looking at the display.
On 02/06/2017 08:57, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Some meters have optical Meter Probes fro downloading data from the meter.
It seems logical to have an arrangement for domestic download?
http://www.metmotec.com/optical-meter-probes/
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:39:31 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

One of ours has that abilty. In 15 years it's been used just once by an official meter reader. Guess which meter reading was wrong...
--
Cheers
Dave.

You mean like a home weather station for example.
--
bert

Brian Gaff explained on 02/06/2017 :

Andy said 'In House Display'. It might well be dodgy messing with the actual meter(s), but the display is just a data receiver and a display. It cannot feed any data to the actual meters.