Getting old paint off brickwork?

How can I do this without making a mess of the bricks underneath?

Reply to
SS

Thats some feat if you do attempt to get the paint off. This paint on the front of the house?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nitromors and a pressure washer?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Having tried it myself, it's likely to be a non-starter I'm afraid; but it does depend on the nature of the bricks and the paint. Often you'll find the paint is absorbed into the brickwork, which means abrading away the surface in some way is the only way forward; paint stripper is ineffective. And abrasion is likely to mess up the bricks anyway. Look at

for info about hiring various different power tools - air descalers, flailers, grinders, graffiti removal kits etc.

You need to get rid of the paint from the mortar too, which is a different surface again; you may need to repoint do get a good result.

Consider repainting with brick-coloured paint as a compromise!

David

Reply to
Lobster

careful sandblasting or possibly pressure washing.

There is a fine line between getting the paint off and ripping the surface off the bricks or ripping the mortar out though..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher