GCH query

How about a Chartered Engineer? Or a European Engineer (Eur Ing)?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Had mine for years (at least 20). Did you know it's one of the (very few) things that can appear in your passport? On the Observations page. I ended up with:

Eur Ing Robert D Eager CEng FBCS CITP MIET

(I believe that's the correct order)

Reply to
Bob Eager

My approach to exams was not to learn anything that I could quickly derive from what I did know.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My short-term memory for lookup-table things was (and still) is poor - I was fine at A level, but in my second year at university something changed. I found the best technique was to spend the last few minutes before the exam memorising things that in real life I'd look up in a book (or nowadays on Google) and then as soon I was in exam "start writing now" conditions, I'd scribble it all down before I forgot it, in case it was needed during the exam.

It was very unnerving to change from thriving on working under pressure in exam conditions (at school) to finding that my brain turned to jelly under pressure in university exams - but I was fine with assignments that I could do in my own time, not under time constraints and not deprived of lookup information.

Reply to
NY

[just to confirm TNP's prejudice] ... I have occasionally toyed with the idea of joining FEANI, in part to be able to call myself an 'Ingeneur'.

OOI, Chris, apart from 'collecting the letters', is there much benefit to you?

Cheers, J^n (CEng ect.)

Reply to
jkn

Well it is reasonable to expect that someone with an engineering degree is "an engineer". But if they really mean "a chartered engineer" then you need additionally to be a member of a chartered institute. Is there anything in addition to MIEE, MBCS etc that you need?

Reply to
NY

At one time you could sit what was called CEI Part 2.

I knew many who had tried that route but only one person who passed. It was "The Engineer In Society" that was the part that caused candidate fails.

Reply to
David

Ah, one of those soft-skills waffly essay subjects. I bet a lot of people chose to become scientists or engineers partly to get away from essays and other opinion- rather than fact-based subjects and methods of assessment.

Reply to
NY

At least two years training/experience, it takes 5 years (3 year degree course plus two years of training/experience) to get full chartered engineer status. That's the absolute minimum but in general it takes longer.

I got my BSc(Eng) degree from Bristol University and then had my two years apprentiship/training at Marconi accepted by the IEE as 'approved training'. However I had to get quite a lot of further computing experience to get my Chartered Engineer membership of the BCS.

Reply to
Chris Green

Ah, I didn't mean I had just obtained it, I meant I needed it written on the front of the letter to remember all the right bits in the right order. I think I've been Eur Ing as long as you, if not more. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Not a huge amount except that of promoting engineering as a proper profession. It can gain one a certain amount of respect in mainland Europe.

Reply to
Chris Green

If a man can declare that he's a woman three seconds after the judge sends him down, surely my dog can claim to be an engineer?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In my student days, a fellow student was named Benjamin Ng and we joked that in the future he could become Eur Ing B.Ng BEng (hons) CEng MIM&C (or whatever order it should be) and everyone would say that they could see his qualifications, but what was his name? ;)

Reply to
Steve Walker

If your views align with those of the examiner you pass. If not you fail.

Reply to
David

Chartership these days is a whole lot of paperwork in terms of proving experience of various things like training, projects, competence, process, management, etc. It doesn't really evidence directly that you know specific technical things about engineering beyond your degree, merely that you have worked in particular roles and done various things. And paid the fees, of course.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I was MRICS does that mean I was chartered ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

what else do you call someone with a degree in engineering?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All of which is encapsulated in a Cambridge MA. Basically if you been out in the world doing engineering for 5 years you get an MA if you have the BA already. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

what do you think the 'C' stands for?

Reply to