Gate hook security pin

I've recently had some new drive gates fitted. These have hook hinges that allow the gates to be lifted off. The hooks have holes drilled through the top ends to allow security pins to be inserted to prevent the gates being stolen, something like this

Is there a recommended type of security pin, if so, what, or do I just have to bodge something, at worst a bent nail or better, a small padlock or whatever? I guess an ordinary split pin would be too easy to remove. I'd like it not to be permanent in case I need to remove it at any time.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'd go for a padlock; bent pins can be unbent.

Reply to
charles

My hinges didn't have anything like that. What I did was to fit an anti-lift block to the gate, under the pin bracket. I fitted it to the edge of the gate in such a way that you can only get to the screws when the gate is open.

Reply to
Nightjar

If it is *really* like that then one option is to invert one of the hinge pins so that all the weight is taken on the other. (All the weight will normally be on one of them anyway). Another, as Colin says, is to fit some sort of anti lift block. Mainly, you are buying time. On farm gates people sometimes fit a "bike lock" chain and padlock around the gate and post, but that will look untidy.

Reply to
newshound

Chris Hogg wrote on 31/01/2018 :

Not so easy to remove when you need to, but the top of our hinge pins are threaded, then a nut is fitted on top, which is then welded on top. The nuts are only screwed partially on, leaving a well at the top of the thread, into which a weld can be made. At the very least, an angle grinder would be needed to chop off the top of the nut.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'd be inclined to tap the holes and use a stainless steel hex socket headed screw so that it will need an allen key to remove it.

You can't stop a determined thief but you can discourage opportunists.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Pop-rivet? Easily enough drilled out if you need to remove gates, but doesn't draw too much attention to the fact that there's only a weak deterrent there.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed you may be able to get an appropriate "security headed" screw. The bits are widely available, but every little helps.

Reply to
Huge

I just used split pins, but then I only have a garden gate and the folk who lift it off are usually youths who have been out on the beer I suspect. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many thanks for all the replies. Lots of useful suggestions there, but my first thought is a small padlock as it's simple, assuming I can find one that has a shackle that will fit. I also like the idea of tapping the hole and using a SS bolt with a hex socket head. An anti-lift block is a different approach, but I don't think it would work in my case, but I'll have to think about it. Thanks again everyone.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Surely a small padlock will be no deterrent to anyone prepared to steal a gate? Given that they?ll be coming with a vehicle, trailer, mate to help out etc, why wouldn?t they throw in a bolt cropper or other cutting device?

How big/valuable is this gate?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

round here, gates are often removed and then dumped some distance away by people on their way back from the pub. They won't have any tools with them.

Reply to
charles

I doubt that much would stop a determined thief; it's more to deter the casual scrote who acts on the spur of the moment.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

A padlock that's been out in the rain for a few years will need to be cut off when you want to remove the gates.

Reply to
GB

I've had padlocks out in a highly corrosive salt-rain environment for nearly twenty years with no problems, where other exposed steel, even nominally galvanised stuff, rusts away to nothing. The trick is to open them periodically and keep them oiled.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

A lot of faff, considering the gate may not need to be removed at any time in the twenty years. Plus, I'd undoubtedly lose the damn keys, and padlocks that small tend to be very insecure - perhaps just as well if you lose the keys!

.
Reply to
GB

Just put a chain on the gate, attach it to the vehicle and drive away. A determined thief doesn't care what damage is done.

Reply to
alan_m

Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :

My own gates, I had to design the hinges so the back end rose up as it was open (opening in to a slight rise in my drive). Which meant if they were opened by someone who wasn't aware, they would swing out into the road. I couldn't put a centre stop in, to stop them being opened out and the risk of being hit by passing traffic. Often posties and take-away menu delivers would try to come in via these drive gates and leave them swinging in the road, rather than use the garden gate directly alongside.

A padlock could be easily fitted, but that involved messing about with keys. I finally resolved the problem by using a cheap spring (3x for a pound) carabiner. The carabiner defeats most peoples attempts to come deliver via the wrong gate.

Likewise, it doesn't take that much to defeat thieves who will simply seek out an easier target. Nothing can be made proof against theft, you can only make it less appealing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Chris Hogg writes

A couple of agricultural solutions...

Whack in a suitably sized roll pin over a close fit washer. Can be hammered out but you need to carry a suitably sized punch as well as the hammer.

More commonly turn the top hinge over.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

First on my list to try if I can't find suitable padlocks. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg