Gas tumble-driers, anyone?

I've seen a fair amount of traffic on this ng about the pros and cons of vented versus condenser tumble driers, but virtually no mention of gas ones. As my drier looks to be a bit sick, I was wondering - anybody have any experience of gas driers? They seem to be dearer (~100 quid?) but must surely be way cheaper to run than electric ones, but what about efficiency, reliability etc?

There seem to be very few available (is White Knight the only brand?) which may say something, I suppose.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Lobster writes

My next project (first available time slot is Q2,2005) is to feed the air intake on an electric one from a modified kickspace heater running off the central heating. Electric elements would be disconnected, temperature control most likely by a remote sense TRV with the capsule by the air intake of the drier. Had a quick look at my drier & it looks like it is a goer. Most likely configuration is with the drier sitting on top of the modified kickspace heater so you'd need to be able to accommodate the height increase of about 100mm.

Too diy for you :-?

Reply to
fred

Er, for me, yes! I like the idea of running a tumble drier off the CH - if (sorry, when!) it works maybe you ought to patent it!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We bought and installed a White Knight dryer when we moved house about a year ago, very happy with it. Running costs are only around 25% that of an electric one and it's got a higher heat output, something over 4kw IIRC. It's so cheap and effective I've not even put up a washing line outside, everything goes through the dryer, summer or winter.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Sounds like an interesting idea!

How hot does the air have to be? Clearly, with your method, it can't get hotter than the water in the primary circuit. Maybe electrically heated air is hotter than this - I don't know?

Reply to
Set Square

In article , Set Square writes

There are lots of issues to look at and that is certainly one of them, I'm trying not to focus on them too hard at the mo as it is taking me away from my general house refurb ;-).

First experiment will prob be to box in a small double finned rad and draw inlet air over it with the drier fan. Also my boiler (Keston) is a little fussy on light loads so I'll need to look at ways ok keeping it happy when using this with the heating off and only 1-2kW is needed for the drier.

I'll keep you all posted.

Reply to
fred

In article , Lobster writes

Sorry, I should have prefixed my post with a note that I had looked at gas driers, was worried about the 'authorities' insisting that I get is serviced every year for 100quid a time and so had started looking at alternatives.

While it's a nice idea and I fully intend to explore it for personal use, I reckon it's too involved to be marketed to punters. Mind you, I could see it having an application for a large site like a laundrette.

I've mentioned my basic approach in a reply to Set Square and will report back on progress or am happy to chew the practicalities over here in case anyone has more time available.

Reply to
fred

launderettes already use gas dryers. IMHO, there'd be no advantange to them of running a dryer off hot water from the heating system.

It's still a good idea though...might give it a go myself depending on the results you get!

I'd be inclined to retain the electric elements though and have them come on automatically when the kickspace heater isn't producing enough hot air.

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Is that the case? ie, is there a different requirement for a gas drier than for say, a boiler or fire or oven (where an annual service is recommended but not compulsory)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
the q

I have seen Launderettes that have the air to the dryers from a central point heated by an in-line duct battery heated by a boiler to 82C.

Converting a Kickspace to heat the air is fine. It is is getting the ducting right, which may be an involved job if some sheet alumunium.

The Kickspace would have to be a cicuioyt of its own. To operate when only it and DHW is called. It would need its own zone valve. The water from the boiler would need to be the hottests you can get, which may play games when having CH on at the same time using a modulating boiler. You can have the Kickspace on at the same time as the CH, but the heat levels at times to the Kickspace may not be that good.

Reply to
IMM

In article , Lobster writes

I'm sure it's not the case, but I have a certain can go wrong, will go wrong mentality which I find difficult to throw off (been on the wrong end of a dubious 'safety' related appliance disconnection in the past). You are going from an electric appliance with a dodgy plastic outlet hose to a flued gas appliance with its attendant regulations and restrictions as to placement, flue length and subsequent movement.

I'm relocating my washer & drier to a separate utility area which unfortunately results in the drier outlet hose needing to be about 6m long. I can work a few fiddles to make this acceptable with an electric drier, but if I did this with the gas drier I'd be going against the installation instructions of a gas appliance which I'd be less happy about and if I called in an gas installer I definitely wouldn't be able to do (I think the flue limits are 1.5m or so).

You may not have these restrictions, but it just took the edge off the idea for me.

Reply to
fred

If the property is let then certainly the appliance would require adequate servicing and annual inspection, testing and certifiying.

If it's your own house and appliance then having it looked over (even only a quick check) annually is a good idea.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

nope

it and DHW is called. It would need its own zone valve.

nope. Running it off the DHW would be better than the CH.

boiler would need to be the hottests you can get,

nope

having CH on at the same time using a modulating boiler.

nope

Kickspace on at the same time as the CH, but the heat levels at times to the

right, but thats not a big problem. Any heat works, and even no heat will dry things.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

yep.

But only works when DHW is called, so a separate circuit.

Yep.

yep.

Hotter heat drys quicker anf properly.

Reply to